Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 07:07 AM

Default 10/20NL Commerce, turned straight

I have a fairly tight image as I have been pretty card-dead in last hour or so. Villain is relatively new and seems to be decent, but he has been complaining how he has been getting the 2. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] the last 3 hands... Villain has $2500 and I have him covered.

I am in the BB w K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and Villain straddles UTG, EP (loose) calls, MP (loose/passive nit) calls and LP (loose weak player) calls, and SB folds, and I make it $280, Villain pauses for a second and calls, the rest fold.

Flop ($690): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I lead for $500 and Villain calls.

Turn ($1690): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check (?) and Villain checks behind pretty quickly.

River ($1690): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I count my bills and throw in $800, Villain quickly announces, "I'm all in"...
Old 04-23-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Re: 10/20NL Commerce, turned straight

kq no good
Old 04-23-2006, 08:23 AM

I'm not getting why you are not pushing turn. If I for whatever reason decide to check turn here I would probably check river as well.

That riverbet is really ugly, leaving you 900 left.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
kq no good

[/ QUOTE ]this man speaks the truth
Old 04-23-2006, 11:07 AM

hmm nut straight on paired/flused board....
Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 PM

omg shove turn
Old 04-23-2006, 12:47 PM

KQ suited plays reasonably well muti-way, and it certainly does not play well out of position. I think you should not have raised preflop.

I also think you should have bet the turn. If the ten hadn't paired, slowplaying that straight (by making it look like you have KK or something) by checking is reasonable. But if your hand is best, there are a ton of river cards that can poison it (either by catching him up or by losing your market). Even if he does bet the turn for you, your hand is not good enough to checkraise. So I really think you need to lead the turn.

As you played it you left yourself with a very difficult river decision - since (a) there are a lot of hands that beat you but (b) he can't know how strong you are. I think I tend towards a fold, but it is close. But I don't think you should have been in this position.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:07 PM

samoleus really hits the nail on the head here. There were a few wrong turns in this hand. The biggest of them being the turn check. The preflop raise out of position with a bunch of loose players in the pot is spotty at best... this is a perfect spot to just call w/KQ.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KQ suited plays reasonably well muti-way, and it certainly does not play well out of position. I think you should not have raised preflop.

I also think you should have bet the turn. If the ten hadn't paired, slowplaying that straight (by making it look like you have KK or something) by checking is reasonable. But if your hand is best, there are a ton of river cards that can poison it (either by catching him up or by losing your market). Even if he does bet the turn for you, your hand is not good enough to checkraise. So I really think you need to lead the turn.

As you played it you left yourself with a very difficult river decision - since (a) there are a lot of hands that beat you but (b) he can't know how strong you are. I think I tend towards a fold, but it is close. But I don't think you should have been in this position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I wasn't too happy with this hand, and that's why I posted it. I went for the decent sized raise here because I was very confident that none of the limpers had a strong enough hand to call (they would often limp call raises, but not large ones), and was looking to take down the hand right there. When the straddler called, I was like [censored], and said I was going to take a stab at the pot on the flop, because I figured he would give me some respect, but not go any farther unless I flopped a big hand.

When he called me pre, I put him on a pocket pair, AK/AQ/AJs, maybe some type of suited connector. When he called me on the flop, I put him on AK/AQ maybe AJ, a T (possibly TT). The turn is dicey. After seeing the J, I was initially going to push, but I figured that by checking, I'd open it up for him to "take the pot" with AK/AQ/AJ (letting him think that i had KK/QQ) or maybe he was slowplaying a T, and I could then c/r all in and I could get him committed. After he checked behind, I was lost and to be honest, a little confused. I felt like he was trying to get a cheap showdown (with AK/AQ) or had a very strong hand. So, on the river I bet $800, I figured it would be enough to get a call from AK/AQ, but quickly realized it was putting me in a shtty spot if he raised. I called time, and thought about it, and really was leaning towards folding, but with the money in the pot and the chance of him slowplaying trips or him having AJ, I made a (bad) crying call, and he flipped up TT, ugh.

Back to the turn... do people suggest push the turn, half pot turn and fold or is my logic acceptable?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 PM

If the board had not paired the ten OR if the whole thing was shifted down (eg you have 7-6 and the board is 8-5-4-4) I like your decisions to check the turn - as you can expect to be ahead more often. But given that you have the same situation with broadway cards (which are more likely to be in your opponent's hand), I don't think your hand is good enough to check raise here. There is a very real possibility that you are beaten. And as I said, if you are ahead and he checks behind, there are a ton of cards that can either allow him to catch up or at least kill your market.

So I think you should bet the turn. That way you can also be more comfortable folding when he blasts you on the river. As you played it, there is a chance that he thought you were weak because of your turn play and was trying to take it away from you. So bottom line: as you played it, I think you should lead the turn.