Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 07:34 PM

Default Loose KJo preflop, hits top pair J facing aggression - what to do?

I would normally fold this preflop, but given the preflop play, how would you continue? Lay it down on turn? Call?

Haven't got a good read on mp, unfortunately...

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero ???
Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Loose KJo preflop, hits top pair J facing aggression - what to do?

Seems like a mandatory fold before the flop without a read.

HU after the flop. You aren't giving anything up by just calling down. I mean, what are you raising for - to charge the AK he has half of the time? You don't really have to worry about charging his AK which is drawing at 12% when the other half of the time he has queens or better. Let him charge himself if he leads the next street with his reverse dominated big cards.

AK 12 combos
AQs 1 combo
QQ 6 combos
KK 3 combos
AA 6 combos
JJ 1 combo

Ahead: 13 Behind:16 (This makes it pretty simple to see you are a dog against his range.) What are you trying to do? Get him to lay down his AK on the turn when he checks into you? You don't even WANT him to fold it then.

I would call down UI. Raise/call turn or river if I make two pair (sometimes just call down if the board pairs in addition to this) or trips.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 PM

Boston Metro response is perfect.

True
Old 04-22-2006, 08:18 PM

I fold PF vs unknown.

I think the flop raise is good to find out where we are in the hand. I doubt many 1/2 players a 3betting UI AK here, but they will 3bet AA-QQ. You can safely fold the turn after he 3bets the flop.

Raising the flop costs 1.5BB's when we get 3 bet and assume we are behind(no showdown)

Calling down costs 2.5BB's (showdown).

Seems to me like flop raise is OK.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold PF vs unknown.

I think the flop raise is good to find out where we are in the hand. I doubt many 1/2 players a 3betting UI AK here, but they will 3bet AA-QQ. You can safely fold the turn after he 3bets the flop.

Raising the flop costs 1.5BB's when we get 3 bet and assume we are behind(no showdown)

Calling down costs 2.5BB's (showdown).

Seems to me like flop raise is OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about when we fold the turn with 5 outs against QQ/AA? That costs us about 1BB. Also what about the small percentage of times he does 3 bet a worse hand like AK? That costs us a hell of a lot.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:25 PM

What's your turn line if he just calls your raise after the flop?

What's your river line if the turn is checked through and he leads out?
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 PM

First I just want to say that raising preflop here was a silly misclick. I would almost always fold this preflop. Furthermore, I'm not saying my play was any good at all, but the answers you're giving me are invaluable for the development of my postflop play, hence the post.

As Imsakidd suggested, my thought behind the flop raise was simply to find out where I was while trying to keep representing a big hand, and maybe getting a free card.

If he called flop, I'd check/fold the turn UI.
Then maybe a check/call on the river.

However, I can see after reading your posts why this is overly expensive and puts me in a tricky situation.

Not that it matters much, but...
I folded turn, villain showed 88.