Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 PM

Default Cold calling raises in position

You have the button. It's raised from EP. What is your calling range? What is your reraise range?

I play .50/1 at Party mainly. The games I sit in are mostly very loose and aggressive.

I call with Axs, 54s-KQs, and 22-TT

I reraise with AK, AQs, JJ+.

Edit : sorry - 6 max - should have said
Old 04-22-2006, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Cold calling raises in position

assuming a reasonable PF raise, like 4xBB, and everyone has around 100 BB stacks, that range looks very similiar to mine.

I sometimes drop some of the bigger connectors, as I tend to get into trouble with them when they flop TP, but I suck postflop still. I will add some unsuited connectors if the raiser and I are pretty deep.

My range isn't very rigid, I'm looking for a hand that can flop big here, and break the raiser. I don't love the suited Aces because a lot of people will be able to get away from an overpair if I make a flush.

Depending on the raiser I may not be reraising JJ/QQ.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:43 PM

I play 25NL

I reraise AA-QQ, AK.
I call all other PPs, SC's and suited one-gappers down to 56, assuming raiser has a full stack.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:50 PM

I raise with TT and better, dont call with Axs.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:57 PM

Against a loose and aggressive UTG raiser (I play six-max), I'd:

1. Call with 22-77, randomly suited connectors, randomly Axs, randomly two-gappers.
2. Re-raise 88-AA, Axs, AK, big broadway suited, randomly suited connectors, randomly two-gapper suited.

If he's loose and aggressive, then I don't even really think of it as a raise. I just think of it as him opening the pot. So I want to take to achieve two things: Take control of the hand away from him, and start building a pot in position.

On the flop, if I raised, I'm almost always betting out 3/4 to full size of the pot. If he plays back at me, I'm pretty much done with the hand unless I flopped something, where something would be a made hand, or some kind of draw. Usually I'm just goint to fold him out, but if we do end up going to war, there's a good chance I'm going to win a lot of his money.

If I called, I expect him to bet me out of the pot unless I made some kind of hand or a draw.

* This assumes opponent is just loose and aggressive. Against a maniacal idiot I play differently.
** Also assumes big stacks. 100+ bb.

Edit: Forgot to add AK to my re-raising range.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:59 PM

Stack Sizes + Reads are very important in determining my calling vs. 3-betting range here.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:02 PM

What kind of long-term returns are you guys getting off that?

Calling that many suited connectors and one-gappers especially for raises sounds like a way to hemorrhage chips really fast unless you are regularly stacking people.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Stacks, reads, blah blah.

I will often fold hands in OP's calling range, and sometimes reraise hands outside of his calling range.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:09 PM

Granted. I am just looking for a range - I don't call raises without decent (5-10 rule) implied odds holding speculative hands ( suited connectors, suited Aces )but they are in my range. It's more a geneal idea not a defacto standard I'm after. I mean [censored], I will call a 4BB raise with 73o if villain overplays top pair for his stack and we are on 1000BB stacks. But I never get into that spot so it I don't think it is in my range just in my dreams.

SO to clarify - for all the pedantic posters out there.

When facing a raise on the button, what is your calling and reraising range in a 6 max game, assuming 100BB effective stacks and an average Semi loose aggressive opponent if your reads are limited to knowing his general playing style is LAG.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Skuzzy-

[ QUOTE ]

When facing a raise on the button, what is your calling and reraising range in a 6 max game, assuming 100BB effective stacks and an average Semi loose aggressive opponent if your reads are limited to knowing his general playing style is LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 3-betting 77+, AK+, occaisionally AQ, and sometimes I will 3-bet with suited connectors, though I prefer to be 3-betting with 76s over KQs.

I am often too liberal with my cold-calling range, this is a leak I am working on. Until I have a stronger feel for how my opponent plays post flop I am limiting my cold-calls to suited connectors down to 54s and suited 1 gappers down to 53s and of course all pocket pairs (this may very well be way too wide open, and I'm not suggesting I cold-call an UTG raise every time on the button with 53s, this is all very situation dependent, but these are hands I will cold-call a raise with.)