Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 09:19 PM

Default Should I get allergy shots?

I have allergies and asthma. They are controlled but if I don't take my meds I am an unhappy person and I make all the people around me unhappy too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So, my allergist recommends allergy immunotherapy shots since I can't/won't avoid my allergens. But immunotherapy means an injection once a week for 3 to 5 years. And it may not work. Or I might develop new allergies in the meantime. Since my meds work (about 80-90% effective) I think I should avoid the shots.

But more importantly, what does OOT think?

(Anyone with experience?)
Old 04-21-2006, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Should I get allergy shots?

Jesus, I wish I wasnt so lazy as to stop my allergy shots. I have terrible allergies, and my parents started me on shots when I was 14, I did it for 2 years, but unfor when I turned 16 I was able to drive myself the 45 min to the doctor but chose not to. They were a life saver, and I was young and dumb assuming that since I didnt have allergies at all anymore, I was fine. I mean I had TERRIBLE allergies, then I had none. I dont have them as bad anymore, but I will probably start up next spring and do it right this time.

Edit: you also dont go once a week for 3-5, you start off at once a week for a year, then once every 2 weeks, for 5 months, then once a month, etc etc. Or something along those lines.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM

I'm pretty sure that eating meat is the correct answer here.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 PM

I did a full 5 year course of immunotherapy shots and it had very little impact on my major problem allergies (dustmites, horses and cats). So I'm probably biased. It really depends on how serious your reactions are. It was worth a shot for me since i'd landed in the ER half dozen times and hospitalized twice. To be honest I've never talked to anyone that has had some great experience with allergy shots. But, I think a lot of people slack off and quit halfway thru.

I just don't go around cats, bet the ponies at the OTB and vacumn a lot. Works fine.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:31 PM

I did this for 6 years when I had really really bad allergies. I have since been allergy free (knock on wood). They did an amazing job and I havn't been bothered in 5 years by any type of allergies. I deff reccomend them.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:40 PM

Is it the cats? I thought there was a special breed of cats that people with allergies could tollerate better. Trade in dem cats I say. Seriously I don't know what would be best but if it is the cats you must really love them to put up with the side affects. Maybe bubble cats! You know like bubble boy but reverse the cats go in bbubles and you live on the outside!! No? ok I will stop now.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM

We are not putting the cats in bubbles. We are not trading them in for non-allergic cats (there's no such thing, though some cats produce more dander and saliva than others).

I never had any allergies until I was 19 and used a sulfa drug (antibiotic) with a severe reaction, but not ER stuff. Just 103 degree fever and I turned into one big hive. Then after I moved to Vegas I started getting more allergies. And in the last few years I've developed asthma.

I've always lived in households with cats. A cat makes a house a home [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have allergies and asthma. They are controlled but if I don't take my meds I am an unhappy person and I make all the people around me unhappy too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So, my allergist recommends allergy immunotherapy shots since I can't/won't avoid my allergens. But immunotherapy means an injection once a week for 3 to 5 years. And it may not work. Or I might develop new allergies in the meantime. Since my meds work (about 80-90% effective) I think I should avoid the shots.

But more importantly, what does OOT think?

(Anyone with experience?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Elaine--

Edward's grandfather who had severe allergies did the shots thing many years ago and had good results. Of course, the meds then weren't as good as they are now.

Allergies come and go. Although I came from a family where everyone else had allergies, I didn't until I moved to New Orleans. In addition to respiratory allergies, I also proved allergic to fire ant bites. The fire ant bite allergy, however, cleared up after a few years. So whether you get shots or not, you may develop new allergies or lose some of the old ones as the years go by. My mother, for example, had rose fever (the spring version of hay fever) when she was young, but it disappeared after she got pregnant. SO shots or no shots, who knows?

Is there a downside to long-term use of your meds?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 PM

I had allergy shots for several years when I was a kid. I have no idea if they helped, my allergies were never super bad, but then again maybe it was the shots. After awhile they move you to once every two weeks, then once every 3 weeks, etc. I think you might as well do it.

Incidentally, allergy shots don't really hurt.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:19 PM

Talk to a pharmacist. They can sometimes be a wealth of unbiased information on subjects like this.