Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 03:22 PM

Default 2/4 limit: Value on river ... or spewing?

I have been playing some low limit O/8 and have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am doing much of the time. So here come a few hands. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Game is fairly loose with 4 to the flop not uncommon. UTG in particular sees most flops. Everyone seems pretty pasive.

Absolute Poker
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5SB, 5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2.5BB, 5 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2.5BB, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, ...

Results:
Final pot: 6.5BB
Old 04-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: 2/4 limit: Value on river ... or spewing?

Ewww!!!!

I don't like this play
Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ewww!!!!

I don't like this play

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like it because worse high hands won't call? (Any ace could easily call here.) You don't like it because multiple lows won't call? (They certianly might.) You don't like it because a better high will raise and I will have to call it? (Certianly a possibility.)

That is: You don't like it beacuse I am probably ahead but I will not make any money from the bet? Or you don't like it because you think I am behind so often than I am losing money? In short, no value or spewing?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:58 PM

I'd check and fold here. I don't know the exact numbers, but people seem to love aces in this game, and even with two on the board, I'd think there's a better than 2.5-1 chance that one is out, and that's what you are getting from the pot.

I'm still new, but one of the repeated warnings I've seen is to avoid second best one-way hands. I'd just check and fold.

Edit: Personally, I don't like it since the pot is tiny.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd check and fold here. I don't know the exact numbers, but people seem to love aces in this game, and even with two on the board, I'd think there's a better than 2.5-1 chance that one is out, and that's what you are getting from the pot.

I'm still new, but one of the repeated warnings I've seen is to avoid second best one-way hands. I'd just check and fold.

Edit: Personally, I don't like it since the pot is tiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love it if an ace were out - as long as it is not aces full. As for avoiding second best high hands, I would have folded this hand for one bet on either the flop of the turn without a second thought, but now we are at the river and my read is that I have the best (high) hand quite frequently.

The size of the pot has nothing to do with betting or not here, except as it affects my opponents calling frequency - it may even help beacue I am less likely to face a bluff raise. (Do people even do that at 2/4 O/8?) It does, of course, have to do with whether I call a bet or a raise. Certainly if two people remained interested I could fold. I am not trying to steal the pot; this is strictly value. If a worse high only hand calls then I make money. If multiple lows call then I make money.

It all hinges on whether I have the best high hand at least half of the time I get one or more callers. Against these players, I can see a flush calling and I can see a naked ace calling. I think it is close.

Of course, it turns out I got three callers and was shown AQ62 (62 of hearts), TT77 and 9522 for two better boats and the second nut low, so I could be wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just trying to learn.