Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 AM

Default Checking AA on SFD flop. 10-20

6 handed, hero is dealt AA in SB, no relevant reads. Hero has 2000 behind.

EP and MP limps, button folds, hero raises to 120, EP calls.

FLop: 789, two hearts. Would you guys advise check/calling here on flop and then leading turn on a safe card? Or, is the 2+2 consensus, once again, betting the flop.

I feel by stopping and going instead of betting/checking if a bad card comes is that with the first option, you're gonig to check the turn anyway if a bad card comes but it looks like you're drawing (since you checked flop), this way a hand like T8, doesnt bluff you off turn when you lead flop then check turn. Understand? Thoughts? Also, you really don't want to get raised on flop. By check-calling you also get money into the pot against a hand like KQ, heartless.

Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Checking AA on SFD flop. 10-20

Hmm... I've found that stopping and going always ends up screwing me over. Do you have the Ah? Also, it's easy to put you on Js or better here in which case he might try to run you over with ATC because this flop doesn't look favorable to you. I like getting him out on the flop and not letting him see a turn card. However, interesting is that he can likely have flopped 2P or better here. I think that pushing hard on the flop and laying to a scare card on the turn is the correct play. Position sucks for us here but I wouldn't want us to simply call down here to the river to see a better handy 5th street. I like to be the aggressor here and put him to the test. 3/4- or the full pot bet seems like a good bet here to see where you stand without letting him come over the top with a worse hand. Making such a bet will at least allow him to notice that you are firm here and he will need a strong hand to beat you. if he does come over the top on the flop though I might three bet this because he is making a move here or you have him beat 70% of the time.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 PM

Tough spot there........I know that I like check/calling the flop to keep the pot small and keep villain from pushing me off my hand. On the turn I will sometimes give him some rope and check/call again, but against tricky opponents I'd prefer to bet a safe turn, usually with the intention of 3betting all in, against less tight opponents who would check behind on the turn after stabbing the flop I would bet the turn with the intention of folding to a raise.

Nothing standard on that board, all opponent-dependent.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:11 PM

Nut overpair with a draw heavy board OOP, bet and go from there.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nut overpair with a draw heavy board OOP, bet and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nut" overpair" < nuts
"go from there" What's your plan if you're raised?
do you disagree with my reasons for not betting?