Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 AM

Default Tight passive underbetting donk monkey leads river

5/10 NL. $1300 effective stacks. Live game. 9 Handed.

Tight passive donkey is on my right. He's middle aged and looks like a biker. He has tattoos all over his arms and chest. He's wearing Harley Davidson sunglasses. He is big and about 75 lbs overweight. He's sporting two days of stubble. We convinced him earlier that a four flush is 50% to hit by the river. He's been babbling about how he likes the play of the guy on my left(a good player who makes pot sized bets), and me, and that suspects that I am a professional player.

Earlier I watched him fold QJs in the BB to a steal and tell me it's not a good hand to call raises with, but is a great limping hand. He's upset about having to fold it but he does quickly.

I also watched him limp UTG with KK then call the BB's all in for 100 in a straddled pot. 5 others called to and he bet 100 into the 600 pot on a JT5 two diamond flop, and overcalled two shorties who moved in for $260 total, then checked it down with the only live player(behind him) left in the pot.

He ends up winning a huge pot, and says "How can I get off of that hand? Nothing I can do, right? I mean, I've had kings three times today... but kings don't usually win... you know, unless you just go all-in pre-flop."

"I lost with the other two kings." All the good players nod and giggle inside, shoot a couple of knowing glances, and think about how nice it is to have a tight passive underbetting monkey in our game.

He has been limping a lot in middle/late and folding to my raises from late. I've been raising a lot from late, and he's been asking me when I'm going to stop raising so much. I tell him I've been getting aces and kings almost every hand since I sat down.

He has been min raising pre-flop, or if others enter, he'll make it $30 to go and everyone will call. Then he'll typically massively underbet the flop and fold to a raise if he missed.

HERE WE GO:

One limper. Donkey raises to $30 from middle. I call with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. One call behind me and blinds fold. We see a flop of:

A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Donkey C bets $50 into the $135 pot. I make it $150 and all fold to donkey who calls.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Donkey checks and I bet $300 quickly. Donkey calls without hesitation. After the flop I'm pretty sure he has AQ, AJ, or AT and is being stubborn. Perhaps he has diamonds too. In any case if the river blanks off I have about $700 left and I expect to stack him.

River is: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Donkey's beady little eyes flicker behind his glasses and he leans forward in his chair, looks at the board, then his chips, and shoots me a quick glance/stare. He breaks off 5 $100 stacks and declares "500" as he slowly moves them forward. I look at him and he doesn't seem too nervous. He is now leaning back in his chair. I ask him "what do you have?"

He says "don't call unless you can beat trips"
"Which set do you have?" I ask.
"Aces. I got three aces bud." His voice is calm. He's not nervous.I half expect him to actually have two aces in his hand, but in actuality I'm thinking he probably has AT. Maybe AK, maybe A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I fold, and he shows me the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and protectively folds the other card face down in the muck.

Comments please.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Tight passive underbetting donk monkey leads river

I think the river is an EASY fold with your read (like how he played that KK hand....WOW). I don't think he's the kind to bluff here.

Do you think he would bet AQ/AJ/ another AK here on the river? It's possible but he seems more likely to check and call considering how passive you have said he is.

nh

edit: You did a great job explaining the situation and your thought process. I wish more posts were like this.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:02 AM

Nice hand/post. I think I do everything the same.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:34 AM

given your description of him i think that this is close to an easy fold. It would be one thing if his flush draw didnt also give him a pair of aces to fall back on, then even a weak passive has got to try to fire out of a corner every now and again, with nothing to show down. but with an A and a inocous (sp)riveri dont see him trying to make a better hand fold.
nld
matty
Old 04-21-2006, 10:03 AM

really great fold, very tough to do vs. a talking stupid donk like this, but very correct.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:02 AM

Given reads, I think this is a fold, but I would like to add that I do not like your turn bet here. In your explanaion you said he has been extrememly passive preflop and even more so post-flop, but in this hand he raises preflop and then he flat calls a raise to 150 on the flop. Not sure really why you can't give him a really big hand here and why you proceeded to bet the turn so hard (pot control should have been priority)unless you can squarely put him on a draw, but you made no mention of how he plyas draws earlier. I think if you check behin on the turn and he leads out on the river you can call or fold, but be in a much easier spot.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:09 AM

great post, great fold. if he mentioned he might have trips, he probably had a straight (A3).
Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 PM

this post makes you sound like a douchebag.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:29 PM

this guy is minraising every hand and u deicde to flat call right behind w/ AKs? who the tight-passive monkey?

BTW/ this post makes you sound like a douchebag.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:46 PM

I concur.

This post does make you sound like a huge douchebag.