Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 01:36 PM

Default WSOP Step 4: Pushing vs. two loose players

Down to five players in a WSOP Step 4, at kind of a mini-bubble as 5th moves down to Step 3 while 4th is guaranteed another shot at Step 4.

MP has been slightly more than min-raising every hand, but has almost always laid it down to button's reraises, which he had also been doing a lot...not showing down any hands though. I'd consider both pretty loose, but the button's been a lot more aggressive than MP, who almost always lays down his EP/MP raises to any action behind him.

I thought I could take advantage of a. my tight play (I was looking for a spot to resteal), b. the mini-bubble, and c. some fold equity here to push over the top of both. What do you think of my push with 99? If it's bad, what kind of hand would you suggest I have to come over the top of both?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (5 handed) converter

Button (t4352)
SB (t3535)
Hero (t2560)
UTG (t1745)
MP (t7808)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t925</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero pushes t2560, MP folds, Button calls t1635.

Final Pot Size: t5370
Old 04-20-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: WSOP Step 4: Pushing vs. two loose players

You have no folding equity and the worst hand.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:45 PM

This is a bad push for the simple fact that you are on the bubble and have plenty of chips. I woulda let MP and Button fight it out and pick a better spot to steal or push.
What makes this bad is button has you covered and its a re-raise on top of it all that you are pushing.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM

I realize now I had no fold equity as Ansky said, so that argument goes out the window. My thinking was that button wouldn't want to lose over half his stack so that's the main reason I pushed. I'd seen him lay down to pushes after he reraised before, but I guess he priced himself into this call once I pushed.