Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2006, 09:07 AM

Default (.5/1) Playing flopped middle set in multiway pot

I'm a NL donkey. Comments on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (22.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Results:
Final pot: 25.5BB
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: (.5/1) Playing flopped middle set in multiway pot

PF - a call is good here; unlike NL when you can't push anyone around 66 is tough to win with UI. You are playing for set value and you would like to see the flop as cheaply as possible. For the same reasons I'd normally fold when its 2 more back to you.

Flop (proof that poker is all luck!) Can't imagine a better flop for you - given all the PF action both opponents likely have big cards and missed and they will assume you did too. Bet raise cap and otherwise put the hammer down.

Turn: BB wake up here seems most consistent with a big overpair that he slow played on the flop - trip J's less likely but possible. I still like bet / raise here.

River: This one is a little more tricky because the possible flush came in (small chance given pree fop action) and the fact htat everyone was willing to cap turn is a little concerning.

Given the size of the pot its c/c vs b/c and with 2 players left to act I think I'd just check.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the same reasons I'd normally fold when its 2 more back to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, hero is getting 5:1 to call the cap (assuming that BB calls the cap). If he flops a set, he only needs to get in 2 big bets to make the PF call profitable.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 AM

The 1st preflop raise to try to fold out the BB and play against UTG heads up is ok IMO.

However, I think that I would probably have let this hand go preflop to the BB's 3-bet and UTG's cap.

I suspect that at least one of them has a higher pocket pair. Also if they both have high overcards, theres a good chance that one of them will make a pair higher than your 6's on the flop.

Your flop bet and 3-bet, when you hit your set looks good.

I also like your turn bet and 3-bet. Thats because BB might have raised the turn after pairing the J, thinking that you had a pair of 9's.

However, when BB caps the turn, I suspect that he may have got lucky and made a set of J's.

The [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the river also completes a possible flush, which UTG may have been drawing to.

So, I think that I would probably have check called the river, as opposed to betting it.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (12SB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Results:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather just limp preflop unless you know UTG is really loose and really bad (calling down with ace-high bad). Otherwise, you might find yourself spewing heads up into a bad hand that's better than yours (97o pairing a 7, for example). Postflop is fine.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
5 players
Converter

Results:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather just limp preflop unless you know UTG is really loose and really bad (calling down with ace-high bad). Otherwise, you might find yourself spewing heads up into a bad hand that's better than yours (97o pairing a 7, for example). Postflop is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad somebody else thought the rasie preflop was quesitionable. I Myself wouldn't of raised as Pocket 6's need a bit of help most of the time to win
Old 04-20-2006, 12:25 PM

limp pf

nh.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Noob gruncher:

Preflop - can't comment. It's just too weird for me. I guess 5 way with only 1 limper it is good to raise trying to fold the bb. The BB 3-bet sucks and then the limp/cap from UTG is bizarre. Now you're OOP vs 2 players.

flop is sweet. I'd say given prior action it missed them both. I like betting out too.

Turn - some scariness... BB could have been calling along with an overpair (JJ) on the flop and now hit his own set. Now UTG backs off. I'd still 3bet.

River - no idea if i'd have bet out. I guess the correct analysis would be to determine if you have more than 33% pot equity right? The bet is for value since nobody in their right mind would fold.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 PM

Limp preflop. the rest is standard
Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 PM

I was hopping a raise would get me heads up with UTG. Didn't expect the action that I actually got.

I'll certainly take the advice and limp next time.

For the results oriented. BB had JJ and hit a set on the turn. MHING.