Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Playing in Loser Mode

Dont you just hate those days when you get constantly sucked out by kids with nooooo reason to be in the hand, only to back it up in later hands by your terrible play. I must be in some sort of funk, cause it really feels like no matter what I cant win. I feel like these might be the worst days ever when they come very so often.

Why do i have to play bad when i get bad luck...tilt i guess?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Playing in Loser Mode

[ QUOTE ]
get constantly sucked out by kids with nooooo reason to be in the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the wrong way to look at it. They have every reason to be in the hand -- to give you long term profit.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:34 AM

all you can do is get all your money in on the best hand. Lucky catches, bad beats are apart of poker. Without it, there wouldn't be a game worth playing. Luck is apart of the game, im sure you wouldn't apologize if you sucked out on somebody.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:51 AM

You know those days when you can't seem to lose--all your draws come in, you get called down when you have the nuts--well this is the other side of it.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know those days when you can't seem to lose--all your draws come in, you get called down when you have the nuts--well this is the other side of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
yep
Old 01-11-2006, 08:13 AM

It happens, sorry. I feel your pain. I turned it around from tilting to just laughing at how bad some people are and why are they pissing their money away.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:23 AM

You need to learn yourself better. You should never be playing poker with that attitude--every time you sit down at the table you shouldn't be thinking, "GAWD, I hope some dumb kid doesn't call my AK all-in with K5o and suck out on me," but rather, "Poker is fun and I'm going to make good decisions at the tables today." That's the most you can ever hope for.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Guess ya lost today.

Crap happens. But you don't see why for a while. Only after I played over 150k hands, and that aint much, did I realise how the swings fit in.

If a swing occurs every 30k hands then it can be easy for a guy playing 1k hands a week to feel like he is god or he sucks over 30 weeks.

Only when you see the big curve, by # of hands, can you understand how variance affects you.

I did a little research and was shocked to find something so simple as shifting your WSD from 53% to 50% can affect your BB/100 by -1.5BB. I did the math for 10k hands assuming our player played 10k a week (40 hours 4 tabling). He only had to lose an extra 2 times a day at the river everyday to shift his 2bb/100 to .5bb/100
http://www.texasholdempoker-stats.co..._variance.html
Old 01-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Those are rare days, my friend, rare. Harder to get lucky than unlucky I say.

But when they do come.... watch out!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:53 AM

Im on a 4 month losing streak right now. You go from thinking your going to make it a real part time job to dumping your whole bankroll. Amazing how bad you can run and the horrible hands that beat you. Im not complaining cause as mentioned before you want these guys playin there crap but sometimes it get's pretty unreal. Make's you question the whole game. I honestly don't understand how people play the way they do. Ive tightened my game up so much thinking that the problem was me but Im such a Rock now it's no fun. My Pokertracker is full of horrible beats by one and two outers on the river after Ive pushed my nut's on the turn.

Also about tilt, it's silly. I have never tilted off a single dime to any of these Jerry's. One of the strongest points of my game is not tilting. I wait till after the session to bash my keyboard. I keep reminding myself that the game owes me nothing. Final table's and all the knowledge in the world doesnt mean [censored] when your running bad. Nobody twisted my arm to play and it's just a game. Maybe the streak was when I was winning and the leveling out is me losing. Am I a losing player? I would like to think not but number's dont lie. Sample size's seem so huge on this site. People that play live would not reach some (SS) for years. Bankroll Management is the biggest defense against these bad run's I know from experience. You cant fight it when it come's so drop down and protect your roll untill the storm blow's over. Sorry rambling. End.