Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Chop-chop?

Hustler 15/30. Folded around to the SB, I'm in the BB. I turn to him, as I always do in this situation, and say "chop?" expecting him to take his SB back and I'll do the same. He looks at his cards and says nothing. The other players at the table (I've recently been moved here to the main game from the must move) tell me "he doesn't chop."

He raises, and I call with QJo.

Flop is KT4. He bets, I call.
Turn 8. He hesitates and bets, I call.
River 4. He checks, I bet, he thinks for a while...

Meanwhile, the Button (on the other side of this guy from me), who clearly had already had a run-in with this non-chopper, snarkily says to the SB: "Chop chop?" And so the SB flashes 99 and folds.

Ship it.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Chop-chop?

Why didn't you raise the flop?
Old 04-19-2006, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only open-ended and thus didn't have enough equity to put in more bets heads up (if he has a K -- of course if he has a hand like 77, where a 9, Q, J, or A wins the pot for me, then I do have equity, but hands with Ks and Ts in it are in his range enough that I wasn't ready to go to war yet). I don't know the guy well enough to know if I can get a free card by raising, so I call with odds (5:1 + implied odds of him calling me down should a 9 or A hit) to try and hit the straight or pair up. SB could have a K and will probably 3-bet (though again I don't know him that well) and will never fold a K and probably never fold a T.

So that's why raising the flop felt wrong. I would have folded the turn but he gave off a red neon tell when he bet the turn that he didn't like his hand anymore. In fact, I almost raised the turn but I accidentally hesitated a second too long and it would have looked like a weak raise. So I called smoothly with confidence.

I hope it was the attitude of my turn call and river bet that led him to believe his 99 was no good.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hustler 15/30. Folded around to the SB, I'm in the BB. I turn to him, as I always do in this situation, and say "chop?" expecting him to take his SB back and I'll do the same. He looks at his cards and says nothing. The other players at the table (I've recently been moved here to the main game from the must move) tell me "he doesn't chop."

He raises, and I call with QJo.

Flop is KT4. He bets, I call.
Turn 8. He hesitates and bets, I call.
River 4. He checks, I bet, he thinks for a while...

Meanwhile, the Button (on the other side of this guy from me), who clearly had already had a run-in with this non-chopper, snarkily says to the SB: "Chop chop?" And so the SB flashes 99 and folds.

Ship it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no problem with people who don't chop, but either do it or don't. i had a problem the other night at canterbury. it folded to the SB who was the 9 seat. i was the 1 seat (canterbruy is 9 handed) so the dealer was in between us. i leaned back to catch his eye to see about a chop, and he raised. i folded T3o. ok. i guess this guy doesn't chop. fine. a few orbits later it folds to him and now he looks at me clearly wanting a chop. i say "we don't chop." he seems a bit flustered and folds. i'm sure i came off like a total dick in his eyes, but the rest of the table just grinned.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i have no problem with people who don't chop, but either do it or don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I don't mind when people have an anti-chopping policy (though I think it's silly in a 9-handed game where the rake is $5, but only $1 if you chop -- making the decision to play almost always -EV), and at Hustler in particular people usually chop unless they have jackpot hands (it's a $55k bad-beat-jackpot, aces-full-of-tens) in which case they check it down.

Hobbs once posted a great story about a guy refusing to chop when Hobbs asked, so Hobbs raised with AA and won a huge pot. I liked that the Button needled SB in this hand by basically saying "now don't you wish you'd chopped?"

I was silently praying that this comment didn't encourage SB to make a crying call with A-high, but luckily it seemed to have the opposite effect.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:34 AM

I'll chop in a rake game but there's no way you're convincing me to chop in a time game.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:51 AM

I wouldn't mind if the guy doesn't chop, but say something if you don't want to chop damn it!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:01 AM

In rake games now I just assume everyone chops so when I'm in the BB I only say anything if the guy takes an action besides chopping and then I usually query him to make sure he understands that I won't be chopping any pots in the future with him - something like "You always play your blinds huh?". In the SB I always ask the first time before taking my bet back but I make sure to never look at my cards until its clearly not a chopping situation so people won't think I'm basing it on that and of course I won't have to look at aces and feel bad. Maybe I'm over thinking all this btw.

In time games I recently decided to never chop because they play really bad in blind battles.

I also would have played your hand pretty differently but no biggy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-DeathDonkey
Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have no problem with people who don't chop...

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to be sitting next to the serious dude who announces in grave tones: "I don't chop". Ka-ching! These guys, in my experience, almost always play and almost always play badly.

Plus I feel important going heads up with someone who is clearly a serious poker player. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 AM

I have no problem with people who don't chop. But the overly serious dudes crack me up.

10/20 at the Borgata, young guy sits down in the BB and annouces gravely to the whole table, "I never, ever chop". Sure enough, it folds around to the SB who was a wiley older player. He leans to the young guy and says, "You don't chop, eh?" The young guy, almost angrily, says again, "Never ever." So the old guy calls, and the young guys loudly raises. The old guy shrugs and calls. Anyway, long story short these guys raise and reraise each other like crazy. Turns out the old guy flopped two pair with a total junk hand and the young guy tried to bully the old guy with something like K9o when the board totally missed him. The table cracked up when they flipped their cards up and the kid immediately walked away down about half his stack.

I love when the universe works like it should.