Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Default Holy Check-raise batman!!! 500+ for $25k Bellagio!!!

Over 500 players for the $25k WPT championship event at Bellagio starting tomorrow. This number could get to 600+
Old 04-18-2006, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Holy Check-raise batman!!! 500+ for $25k Bellagio!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Over 500 players for the $25k WPT championship event at Bellagio starting tomorrow. This number could get to 600+

[/ QUOTE ]

so? call me when it reaches 2k.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:25 AM

so if 600 players and $15 million prize pool. will like 15% go to the winner?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so? call me when it reaches 2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sykes
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Chasing donks

not sure if this was deliberate, but nh
Old 04-18-2006, 11:46 AM

Last year Tuan Le won $2.85m for the win out of a $11m prize pool (about 25%.)

Using the same percentage, first prize this year would be $3.75m if they make 600 players.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:42 PM

When I saw the title to this post, I thought you were talking about the ridiculous vig for this event. It's even worse than the WSOP. If it's the same as last year, you pay $500 on top of the 25K, then they take 3% more ($750) for the dealers. $1250 vig on an event where the average player puts in about 15 hours or so. Pretty close to $100 per hour per player in total vig. Yikes.

I'm sure there are lots of costs for this event, but that has got to be too much.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 04-18-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I saw the title to this post, I thought you were talking about the ridiculous vig for this event. It's even worse than the WSOP. If it's the same as last year, you pay $500 on top of the 25K, then they take 3% more ($750) for the dealers. $1250 vig on an event where the average player puts in about 15 hours or so. Pretty close to $100 per hour per player in total vig. Yikes.

I'm sure there are lots of costs for this event, but that has got to be too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean we won't see you there? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM

I don't understand why anyone would still want to play a WPT event by risking his/her own money.

Tuan Le, who won two WPT events last season including the WPT Championship, got exactly ZERO in terms on endorsements. ZERO.

The other two WPT Championship winners, Alan Goehring and Martin DeKnijff, haven't gotten much if anything in terms of endorsements either.

Coupled all that will the latest Nielsen TV ratings for the WPT on The Travel Channel in Season #4, which are almost exactly what the ratings were in Season #1 (down to about 600,000 households on average), and the overly-broad image rights release form, and you wonder why anyone would still want to play a WPT event by risking his/her own money.

--

There is only one tournament that still matters if you are playing tournament poker as a business: the WSOP main event. That is the ONLY event in which you will have a shot at any significant ancillary income, i.e. endorsements, if you win it.

[If a young, photogenic woman were to win the WSOP main event, then she is expected to make $20-30 million a year in endorsements, i.e. "Maria Sharapova" money. Keep in mind that Sharapova has won exactly ONE major title in her life.]
Old 04-18-2006, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the money from endorsements and commercials, it would be nice if they could at least make it that dollar-for-dollar, whatever is paid in for entries is paid back out. Before we even get to the (logical) point where tournaments ADD money to the prize pool in order to entice players to play, let's at least get to the point where when you get 500 people plunking down $25K that $12.5 million is paid out.

Body for a body.

Dollar for a dollar.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With the money from endorsements and commercials, it would be nice if they could at least make it that dollar-for-dollar, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, but the host site doesn't really get any of that money, do they? The WPT takes all that money. The tournament fee goes to the host site and pays for the dealers, etc.

Really the tournaments should be dollar-for-dollar as you say, and the WPT should pay for the dealers, etc., and some rent to the host site, though not much since the host gets tons of advertising value.