Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 02:27 AM

Default Who will win the NBA MVP?

I've seen this discussed in the regular Sports forum, but not here. Saw these odds posted:

Kobe Bryant -110
Steve Nash +375
Lebron James +375
Dirk Nowitzki +900
Chauncey Billups +1200

I knew Kobe was one of the frontrunners, but should he be this big a favorite? Out of the few articles I've seen so far, most think that either Kobe or LeBron will win it (even if the writer personally thinks someone else should). Most people in the Sports forum here also think it will be Kobe (45%) or LBJ (26%).

I guess I think that too, so a combo of them is probably a decent wager, or LeBron at +375 is decent value. What does everyone else think?
Old 04-18-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Who will win the NBA MVP?

Kobe will lose votes from anti-Kobe backlash, but LBJ will lose votes from many who figure "he's going to get so many, why give him one when he's so young". Nash may have had a better year than he did last year. I think he could steal it. It just doesn't seem like Dirk or Chauncey or anyone else has enough broad support.

Maybe a bet on Nash with a cover on LBJ. Take a stand against Kobe. I could see lots of voters punatively voting him well down their list, whereas I see very few not including LBJ in their top 3. Dunno, tough year.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:30 AM

wow, that is crazy that hes that big a favorite. Both Nash and Lebron look great at those prices. Ernie Johnson from TNT is one of the voters and he said on the last show that he had it narrowed down to Nash, Dirk, and Lebron. It makes me wonder how much insight the books have to the other voters given how open they might be.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:55 AM

Who decides who wins MVP?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:22 AM

Does Nash really deserve to be a repeat, particularly back-to-back, MVP? Some people will certainly vote with this in mind, and it is a tough, tough comparison.

In the last decade, the only person to accomplish this was Tim Duncan, and before that, the list only includes a select few legendary players: Jordan, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Moses Malone, and Bill Russell.

Nash hardly seems anywhere near this level. In fact, I posted in the Sports forum whether Nash is even a clear cut Hall of Famer or not.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM

Found some new lines. Intertops is offering the following, which are very different.

LeBron James +100
Kobe Bryant +225
Dirk Nowitzki +375
Steve Nash +450
Chauncey Billups +800
Dwyane Wade +1600
Elton Brand +6600
Carmelo Anthony +8000
Chris Paul +15000

LeBron and Kobe are flip-flopped here, for pricing. Low max wager, so not available to win a ton, but interesting, particularly the longer odds.

I had taken some LeBron earlier, and at these prices I now have all 3: LeBron, Nash, and Kobe. Nash is starting to look like a great value at +450. As posted above, I don't personally think he deserves a back-to-back MVP, but he did a great job with his team, and it seems like the media are leaning towards him. With all 3 at these various prices, I have basically guaranteed money. I see virtually zero chance it is not one of them, although if you ask Chauncey Billups or Mark Cuban, they'll give you a different story.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:04 AM

A league source says Nash will win the MVP.

I don't like him getting it back-to-back personally, but at least I'll make some money on it. Nice initial call, Clark.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kobe will lose votes from anti-Kobe backlash, but LBJ will lose votes from many who figure "he's going to get so many, why give him one when he's so young". Nash may have had a better year than he did last year. I think he could steal it. It just doesn't seem like Dirk or Chauncey or anyone else has enough broad support.

Maybe a bet on Nash with a cover on LBJ. Take a stand against Kobe. I could see lots of voters punatively voting him well down their list, whereas I see very few not including LBJ in their top 3. Dunno, tough year.

[/ QUOTE ]

w00t!
Old 04-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I'd like to see Nowitzki to win it...but only because that would mean two different white guys will have won the award in successive years, and that would be hilarious.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM

In a way.

Foreigners, though, remember.