Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 05:53 PM

Default 5$ 5 table Stars level 1 QJs

Hi, I am a novice and not sure about such a hand.

I had no reads.
I am quiet unsure about every street here, so all comments are welcome.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1500
UTG+1: t2030
MP1: t1500
MP2: t1500
Hero: t1490
CO: t1470
Button: t1470
SB: t1680
BB: t860

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t60</font>, CO folds, Button calls t60 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t90)</font>, SB calls t50 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t150)</font>, BB calls t40 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t200)</font>.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t240, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets t100</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t300</font>, Button calls t200 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t640)</font>.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t840, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t840, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t400</font>, Button calls t400 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t1240)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: t1640
Old 04-17-2006, 06:05 PM
 is offline

Default Re: 5$ 5 table Stars level 1 QJs

Stone cold bluff into 4 opponents early in an MTT? Need I say more?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stone cold bluff into 4 opponents early in an MTT? Need I say more?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little bit please. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Do you mean pre flop or on the flop? On the flop my reasoning was this:

The t100 bet of the button did not look very strong to me. He was the only opponent left so i thought it might be worth a try. I think it was wrong because I had no reasonable draw and the flop was only 2 colored. would my steal be more reasonable with a BDFD on a rainbow board, or is that still a clear fold?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM

Kramer, you are misreading the action. At the time OP bluffed there was just one opponent, not four.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:40 PM

If you are going to c/r bluff here, you need to raise more. I would pop it to t450 and lead the turn, if your read is that he is just trying to pick up the pot. Nice river.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Here's my view. Preflop is good. On the flop you should check-fold. The bettor is unlikely to fold to your checkraise; he probably has something (a flush draw, perhaps a 9, maybe a medium pocket pair like 77) with which he can call the extra 200 chips.

On the river, when the flush card comes giving you top pair, don't bet half the pot. You do better by check-calling. Remember that one of the hands he could easily have bet on the flop is the nut flush draw.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:56 PM

You'll probably get several different views of this, here's mine.

I don't like the pre-flop raise at this stage, are you hoping it gets through? The blinds aren't worth stealing and really you should only be getting called by hands that are beating you. As it happens you get four callers, which ironically isn't such bad news with a drawing hand.

The check raise on the flop is very bold. So far you have only invested t60 and you have no hand. When it's checked to you I much prefer a check and fold. If you want to take a stab at the pot you could try a continuation bet and hope it gets through. Your check raise move is pretty much a pure bluff against three opponents - I don't like it. I like it even less when the button calls, you are probably behind.

You check the turn, having check raised the flop, this is inconsistent. Your check raise on the flop represented a strong hand which you should be following up on the turn. If the button called your check raise with a flush draw you're giving him a free card. On the other hand the good news is the button gives you a free card in return as you'd have to fold if he bets here.... you would fold right?

You hit top pair on the river, but it's a club, that's pretty scary. What might the button have called your check raise with but not re-raised with himself pre flop? I'm guessing the button has either a 9 (and made a bad pre-flop call with either A9 or 9x suited where x is a connector) or a flush draw.

You bet, do you have any idea where you are in this hand? Do you want a call or a fold? You don't have any reads on the button so you don't know if he's likely to lead out on a flush draw. He's almost certainly got either a 9 and you're winning or a flush and you're losing, but he's definitely got something. I'd probably check and hope he checks behind, if he bets you're going to have a tough decision.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 PM

oops, made same mistake as MBE, check raise bluff into 1 opponent not 4 (I still don't like it, but it's nowhere near as bad).