Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Foxwoods 5/10 Kill Hand

I'm at the Foxwoods 5/10 kill (10/20 half the time, when the previous pot was over $100, until the pot is less than $100). It's a 5/10 game that plays 10/20 half the time with players who have no business at 2/4. I'm new at the table from a broken game and don't have reliable reads yet. The villain is neither an Internet hotshot nor a retired nit. He's about 28 to 35 wearing a Yankee hat.

I am already making bad preflop decisions trying to get out of a $600 suckout hole, and I limp for $10 with 53s on the button with 3 limpers. Raised to $20 by the BB and 6 take the flop at $20.

Flop is 8-5-3 rainbow. Bet from the BB, a few folds to middle position who makes it $20, and I make it $30. BB caps, MP calls 3 bets cold, and 3 players take the turn @ $40.

Turn is a 3. Another bet from BB, MP finally folds, and I raise to $40. BB calls, then says this while before the dealer tables the river card;

"You have a boat down there, don't you?"

The river is a Q and BB bets.

Your action......
Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 5/10 Kill Hand

allin :f
Old 04-17-2006, 11:29 AM

A fold is incredibly sissy and a raise has little value. So yeah, you just call and hope he's got two pair. Players make these comments all the time to try misleading you into thinking you're in trouble. (e.g."You got a higher flush?" when the flop is monotone.)

While it is hard to believe he's going to bet into you with an unimproved hand when there is obvious boat potential, it's a kill pot and sometimes people do crazy things.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:39 AM

This is what I thought of his quote;

Either

A) He's pissed off that I've got his QQ-AA destroyed.

B) He is baiting me and is already top full, with 88.

Then the river comes and he bets out.

I knew that if I was beat I lose 2 bets but I only make 1 if I'm right.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:02 PM

The preflop limp is good.

Why would he stop'n'go with AA/KK? Of course folding isn't an option, but I don't mind just calling here. I've never played live (other than in home games), but if people tend to do crazy stuff i don't mind raising and calling a 3-bet either.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 PM

I thought about it for a while (10 seconds) and then raised the river. Instant 3-bet and I made the crying call. He had QQ.

I should have called the river bet.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:10 PM

I'm kinda sketched out by his comment, especially because he proceeded to bet out on the river. I think he may have 88 or 55 and was trying to trick you with his comment, or he may have hit QQ and is betting. The pot is pretty big already, and I'd be satisfied with just a call (folding clearly isn't an option). No need to risk another two bets on the chance that he is behind and will call another bet.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:18 PM

on party poker I raise this river every time but at the foxwoods 5/10 this is the easiest call ever. most players wouldn't bet the river here with the nut flush and you have the worst boat, so take it from there.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:40 PM

I think this is an easy raise because it is unlikey but not out of the question that someone would raise 88 or 55 with that many limpers preflop. The only hand here that you are behind to is a rivered QQ. If he had 88 or 55 he would have reraised the turn, he made the comment most likely to slow you down and bet because he prolly figures that it is better to bet than call or maybe he thinks you with fold or something.