Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Living without free will

I just read a snippet from someone who claims she has eradicated the feeling of having free will. She says that when she makes a choice, it no longer feels to her that there is any "thing" making that choice. I cant conceive how it would be possible but she maintains that over time you can live as a determinist without the subjective feeling of making a choice. Has anyone here tried to do this?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Living without free will

[ QUOTE ]
I just read a snippet from someone who claims she has eradicated the feeling of having free will. She says that when she makes a choice, it no longer feels to her that there is any "thing" making that choice. I cant conceive how it would be possible but she maintains that over time you can live as a determinist without the subjective feeling of making a choice. Has anyone here tried to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get married.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 AM

I doubt a specific “subjective feeling” is necessary for free will to exist.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:16 PM

Sounds like a kind of voluntary dissociation. I don't know that it would be useful, so I wouldn't want to try. I don't believe in free will, but I do value my determination and passion and principles. I don't know that I could maintain those things if I did away with the experience of subjectively making a choice (even if I could do so).
Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is interesting. Along those same lines I was talking to someone last night and he maintains that he is complete care-less when it comes to worrying about something because he cant control it.
I wish I could come to this conclusion or something similar because now i tend to worry alot more even about things I can not contol.
As i have stated in my other post, I believe people are brainwashed so to speak as they grow up under their specific religion. I wonder if it is possible to brainwash urself to not worry?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:33 PM

It's called depression, and there's treatment for it.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
She claims to be completely happy and to live a moral life even though she doesnt feel like she is making any choices. She also doesnt believe in a "self" but she says she hasnt been able to eradicate the feeling that something exists subjectively experiencing her life (although she doesnt believe anything does).
Old 04-17-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe in free will ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that opinion extend to everybody or only apply to yourself?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
She claims to be completely happy and to live a moral life even though she doesnt feel like she is making any choices. She also doesnt believe in a "self" but she says she hasnt been able to eradicate the feeling that something exists subjectively experiencing her life (although she doesnt believe anything does).

[/ QUOTE ]

Dissociation is experiened by most everyone to a certain extent, ranging from daydreaming to multiple personality disorders. It sounds like she is further along in that spectrum than most, but not so far along that its disruptive, and in fact for her may be beneficial. I dont think it bears any relation to free will, though.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 PM

Dissociation doesn't have to be a negative. Some people will contend that eradicating a concept of self it's what's at the heart of the likes of taoism.