Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 01:43 AM

Default 10/20 playing Aces passively

Tonight was my triumphant return to poker after taking 10 days off! I was very quickly reminded of why I took 10 days off. Poker is pretty frustrating at times!

Anyway, 6-handed 10/20 table. UTG calls, UTG+1 makes it 100, I smoothcall with AA because I am tricky! I have 2000 behind and both players cover. UTG calls as well.

UTG+1 is a name I haven't seen before, but he's playing at a few tables and is basically a rock preflop. Postflop he's been hitting everything so I can't tell, but I suspect he is fairly unimaginative. UTG is also a name I haven't seen before, but he's playing loose and I don't know too much about postflop. Probably not a winning player.

Flop 964r with 330 in the pot.

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets 275, I call, UTG pops it to 850, UTG+1 folds, I fold.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:51 AM

Default Re: 10/20 playing Aces passively

What's your position preflop? Assuming button I don't mind it as much although it's not something I'd be doing. Is your RR PF range really that slim that you can't raise with AA or it will be obvious?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:06 AM

Why did you immediately decide to play the hand passively when UTG+1 CB?

UTG is obviously representing a set, so the fold seems fine. Did you sense that he was going to c/r or something?

I don't get this hand.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:59 AM

As played, fine. If you feel the need to get tricky and that a re-raise is defining you THAT much, get a bigger 3-bet range instead of having to cold call in this spot. Without the limper, I think calling is fine, but I don't like this v much when two players has entered the pot.

As for UTG being a rock, he will probably play like all passive stupid boring rocks and have the somewhat standard small pocketpair when utg-limping like 90% of the time, which means he's coming in for the raise pretty much all the time as well.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:05 AM

Wrong way around. The preflop raiser is the rock, the flop checkraiser is the loose player. When I say rock, that just refers to preflop. I think he was around 15/7 when this hand occurred. Postflop he seemed to play a fairly straightforward 2+2 style--TAG if you want to call it that, although I really dislike how the words TAG and LAG are used on this forum because they're starting to lose all meaning.

I played it like this not because of my own reraising range (I reraise liberally in position), but because of UTG+1's raising range. I don't think he's getting away from JJ/QQ on an undercard flop if I smoothcall, whereas he can definitely drop them if I reraise.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:15 AM

Sorry, misread. Then it's fine.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:19 AM

I think the reasons you give to re-raise outweigh the reasons to just call.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I played it like this not because of my own reraising range (I reraise liberally in position), but because of UTG+1's raising range. I don't think he's getting away from JJ/QQ on an undercard flop if I smoothcall, whereas he can definitely drop them if I reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK fine, then given this I still don't understand why you didn't raise the flop.

Edit- I guess I'll elaborate so someone can better answer my question. The main factor to me is scare cards (for both you and him). Also you just calling might set off alarms in his head and thus kill your action.

So the two reasons I can see you calling are:
1) You wanted UTG+1 to hit some part of the board (but given his range he might have an overpair and as you mentioned, get it all in on the flop).
2) You had an instinct that UTG would c/r.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:42 AM

So are you posting this to show :

1 - How stupid you are for cold calling with AA, then after your slow playing it, forget that your trapping and forget to follow through.

2- How clever you are for cold calling with AA and getting away from it after the flop.

3- Bad Beat Story.

I just dont get it.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you posting this to show :

1 - How stupid you are for cold calling with AA, then after your slow playing it, forget that your trapping and forget to follow through.

2- How clever you are for cold calling with AA and getting away from it after the flop.

3- Bad Beat Story.

I just dont get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 - Eat a dick