Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Honest opinions on whether i should give up or keep trying

This is not a bad beat post or a rant, i'm not even upset over the crappy session i just had, all i'm looking for is everybody's honest opinions at to whether i'm just not cut out for this poker thing or if one day i might become a winner player. I won't get offended by any replies as long as what u honestly think.

The story, I'll try to keep it short

Been playing almost a year now and just started to play cos i had internet access at work for 12 hours a day with nothing else to do but browse the net, so basically got bored and stumbled across poker. Overall i'm probably down about $2000 which is obviously not that much and isnt even the reason i'm questioning if i should play on, cos i dont miss the money or anything and that money was lost when i first started playing...i havent redepositted in ages except to clear a bonus.

Currently i feel i dont play too badly, I know all the basics, I've read Super System and done tons of studying on all variations of poker (offered by party at least). I've won a couple tournaments, and even tho they were the party $2500's that u enter with ur party points, to beat off a 1000 players twice u cant be too bad can you? I've also made other final tables and ITM plenty of times. I dont use pokertracker and havent tried to plug any leaks so flame me if this is the reason i havent had any success. Ive tried all forms of poker and just do ok with all of them.

Basically i think my main problem is patience, I dont think i wait for the right times to make moves and therefore always ends up costing me. Also when reading about all the success most of you are having i keep thinking why not me, so i keep playing and grinding and hoping things will change but lately i just feel like i dont get it when it comes to poker

I'm not looking to get rich on poker or play at the crazy limits that some of you play, i just dont think i have the nerves for it anyway. I'm moving to the states at the end of the year and am going to start studying as well as work but i was just hoping i could eventually just bring in a couple hundred bucks a month to pay for unexpected things that come up and buy my wife something nice occasionally. I've never thought of depending on poker for things that i definately need, so this isnt a "should i turn pro" thread.

I've had my bankroll as high as $1400 at one point (thats high for us microlimit guys) but ended up going back down to 40 bucks through tilt and taking shots. It currently stands at about 200 bucks and i wont be depositting another cent so win or lose this is what i have left to try on poker.

I have till the end of the year to devote every minute of my time to poker to try and make it work, i have internet at work and home so can literally play 12 hours a day, but because of the contastant switching i havent been using pokertracker. Can i become a small winning player in this time after having taken the right steps?

So who thinks that I've given it a try but maybe this just isnt for me? or who thinks i just havent been reading the right books or not put in enough to be expecting to make a couple hundred a month at whatever limits?

Haven any of you come to this point in your poker career and gone on to have success? do things eventually just click and u start to grow these poker instincts and become a winning player?

Thanks for anybody who took the time to read this, and hey its been a blast so if i do decide to not carry on good luck to the rest of you and may u have been fortune than i have.