Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2006, 12:58 AM

Default Ironic?? (atheist--religious)

So assuming there is no correct religion and we should have not focus on one central religion, why do you think religion was "invented"? My guess would be to prevent chaos.
I think if there was one thing that could end this world however, it would be religions fighting with each other. Kind of ironic, dont ya think?
Old 04-15-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Ironic?? (atheist--religious)

That wouldnt be my guess. Mine would be simple greed and lust for power on the part of whatever hierarchy that religion imposes on its adherents.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:29 AM

I will agree that lust and greed for power created different religions but..
not speaking as an atheist, but as an observer.. would u not agree that there would be more stealing, more killing, and more whatever else if tomorrow it was announced that there was no God?

I mean as long as religious people dont try to force their religion on me or anyone else I have no problem with it because overall they have good moral values, whether it be for the right or wrong reasons (to go to heaven). the ironic thing im speaking of is that we are having all these peaceful religions (yea, maybe put there by corrupt people) but yet the world, if any way IMO, will come to an end because of it!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will agree that lust and greed for power created different religions but..
not speaking as an atheist, but as an observer.. would u not agree that there would be more stealing, more killing, and more whatever else if tomorrow it was announced that there was no God?

I mean as long as religious people dont try to force their religion on me or anyone else I have no problem with it because overall they have good moral values, whether it be for the right or wrong reasons (to go to heaven). the ironic thing im speaking of is that we are having all these peaceful religions (yea, maybe put there by corrupt people) but yet the world, if any way IMO, will come to an end because of it!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I dont think there would be more killing, stealing, or whatever if there were no religion. There might be more individual anti-social behavior resulting from the lack of fear of eternal damnation, but that would be more than offset by the killing that would no longer be done in the name of god, the scamming (ie theft) of wealth/posessions by the various organized religions etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
would u not agree that there would be more stealing, more killing, and more whatever else if tomorrow it was announced that there was no God?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't agree with this, because I haven't killed anyone in months! Now that I think about it, I've managed to go without stealing anything during this time too!

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with it because overall they have good moral values,

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the Christian right who are most apt to approve of the Iraqi war (and most wars). Are these the kind of moral values you're talking about?

[ QUOTE ]
because overall they have good moral values, whether it be for the right or wrong reasons (to go to heaven).

[/ QUOTE ]

So even though you might think it was for the wrong reasons (believing they were about to receive their 72 virgins), you otherwise approve of the values of those who few planes into the WTC?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would u not agree that there would be more stealing, more killing, and more whatever else if tomorrow it was announced that there was no God?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't agree with this, because I haven't killed anyone in months! Now that I think about it, I've managed to go without stealing anything during this time too!

[ QUOTE ]
I have no problem with it because overall they have good moral values,

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the Christian right who are most apt to approve of the Iraqi war (and most wars). Are these the kind of moral values you're talking about?

[ QUOTE ]
because overall they have good moral values, whether it be for the right or wrong reasons (to go to heaven).

[/ QUOTE ]

So even though you might think it was for the wrong reasons (believing they were about to receive their 72 virgins), you otherwise approve of the values of those who few planes into the WTC?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you dont kill anyone or steal anything because you have a mind in which you think for yourself. Other people (christians or whoever) behave to please God. So it is my belief that if it is found out there is no God, they wouldnt have anything to care about and could do whatever they wanted (barbaric!!)

also, i cant speak for christians or muslims but i am pretty sure over all they condemn killing. Iradicals such as the 911 bombers do not fit into the muslim religion IMO and therefore you obviously cant approve of their values.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:08 PM

I really would like to learn more about Christian's beliefs when it comes to killing. As far as I can tell, they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Many certainly have no problem with it in times of war. George Bush is a devout Christian as are most politicians (at least they have to claim a belief in God in order to get elected in this country).

I also think (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), that most Christians support the death penalty. In short, I don't see where Christians (or most religions for that matter), have a problem with killing people.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That wouldnt be my guess. Mine would be simple greed and lust for power on the part of whatever hierarchy that religion imposes on its adherents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my guess, too. Power and control.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:21 AM

Well, I think the concept of God or gods was developed back when there was little understanding of the earth and it's environment. If you think about it, a super natural being made all the sense in the world back then. People couldn't have known that tsunamis were caused by tectonic plates shifting hundreds of miles out to sea. So walls of water washing away multiple villages over miles and miles and killing thousands of people seemed like the wrath of God. Same with volcanoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc. etc.

As for religion... What makes the most sense to me, is that certain people used this fear of God and formed religions so they could gain power over people. Tell them how to live, etc.

I personally find it absolutely mind-numbing that this practice persists and still works to this day. As an atheist, I want to call these people stupid and gullible, but there are an amazing number of intelligent people left in this world who find religion to be logical. I think they are just refusing or for whatever reason uncomfortable with thinking for themselves.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why do you think religion was "invented"?

[/ QUOTE ] Because it was and is beneficial in many ways. Well maybe not the reason it was "invented", but surely the reason why it continued.

[ QUOTE ]
would be religions fighting with each other.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm near positive that if the end of the world is to happen soon religion will be used as a motivation, and rationalization by both sides. But I don't think it will be the underlying cause. Scarcity of resources will be. Lets just say that, and this is a way out there theory, oil becomes very scarce, I'm sure there will be a war between muslims and the religions of the contries wanting the oil. Of course oil won't be mentioned much, seeing as it is distasteful to kill over it.