Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2006, 10:00 AM

Default How do deal with a bunch of MP3s?

I have a 20 gig iPod and as of last night it is officially full. I have 5976 songs, 16.6 days worth of music, 23.52 gig.

I'm sure there are bunches of duplicates in there. I'm looking for ideas on how to sort through this mess of songs that I've aquired over the years. Are there any programs out there that will check for duplicate mp3 files or find similarities in the mp3 tags?

I'm debating on just getting a new 60 gig ipod. I like the color display and the ability to show the album art and all that good stuff. What I don't like is the $400 price tag.

A new iPod doesn't really fix my problem though. I only have about 20-25 different playlists. I really need to just weed through everything and I'd like to set up more playlists to help me navigate the songs on my iPod.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: How do deal with a bunch of MP3s?

i recommend that you sit down and spend 16 straight days listening to music. at the end of which, you will be blessed with the wisdom on how to handle this problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 AM

iTunes can do this for you.

Open iTunes-->Edit-->Show Duplicate Songs
Old 01-10-2006, 10:05 AM

There are dupe checker programs available. Google Dupe Checker Dupe MP3 or something like that.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
iTunes can do this for you.

Open iTunes-->Edit-->Show Duplicate Songs

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:23 AM

A few things that I do to keep down on the clutter besides getting rid of duplicates:

I'll rate songs. If I give a single star, then it means I want to delete it. I then sort it by rating, and delete all of those.

I also make a Smart Playlist to find songs that I have never listened to or haven't listened to in a [insert your own timeframe here]. I'll then take a second look at it to see if it's worth keeping or not.

You can always keep all of your songs on your iTunes library and keep a selection (large or small) on your iPod, too.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few things that I do to keep down on the clutter besides getting rid of duplicates:

I'll rate songs. If I give a single star, then it means I want to delete it. I then sort it by rating, and delete all of those.

I also make a Smart Playlist to find songs that I have never listened to or haven't listened to in a [insert your own timeframe here]. I'll then take a second look at it to see if it's worth keeping or not.

You can always keep all of your songs on your iTunes library and keep a selection (large or small) on your iPod, too.

Hope it helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you keep all your Itunes songs on the comp but a limited selection on the pod? Everytime I hook my pod up to my comp it just auto updates/adds songs.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:18 PM

[quote
How do you keep all your Itunes songs on the comp but a limited selection on the pod? Everytime I hook my pod up to my comp it just auto updates/adds songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once your library grows over the capacity of the iPod, there's just an iPod playlist that you move songs in/out of.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

[/ QUOTE ]

Once your library grows over the capacity of the iPod, there's just an iPod playlist that you move songs in/out of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this just happened to me... anyone want to buy a month old 30g video ipod... i need to get the 60g.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:32 PM

How much do you want for it?