Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 11:04 AM

Default I Fold QQ pf

3/6 table on Absolute. On average 3 players to the flop. Game is fairly tight but some players call down more than they should post flop. None of the players have been overly AGG for the 2 hours or so I've been at the table.

Hero is BB with QQ

fold, UTG + 1 raises, UTG + 2 re-raises, 2 folds, MP cold calls, SB caps, Hero folds...

I think this is the first time I've ever folded QQ pre-flop. Am I a fool? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2006, 11:07 AM

Default Re: I Fold QQ pf

yes. even when you are behind you can play this for set value alone.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:07 AM

It is probably close, but only b/c of implied odds. If the original doesn't fold, you've got 16:3, so you have to make up around 13 bets or so postflop (guessing since you'll hit and lose sometimes), which gives the number of players/how much they like their hands seems doable.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:15 AM

If I wasn't in blind and it was 4-bets to me preflop against normally tight players, I might think about throwing it away. In the BB I'd probably call, who knows, the SB might have capped for fun with some junk suited hand and was hoping to hit big on the flop. With QQ in BB, at least see the flop, like Hobbs said there is set value, as well as a flop like KJ10 which hits everyone while giving you open-ended straight draw. Rare, yes, profitable, also yes.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For 3 bets back to me even? I'd say I was like 90% sure 1 of the 4 remaining players had QQ or better. Also, what's the line on the flop if we do call? i.e. everyone calls the cap, flop is all undercards (942rainbow). SB bets, hero calls and folds for more than 2 back to me or just folds?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For 3 bets back to me even? I'd say I was like 90% sure 1 of the 4 remaining players had QQ or better. Also, what's the line on the flop if we do call? i.e. everyone calls the cap, flop is all undercards (942rainbow). SB bets, hero calls and folds for more than 2 back to me or just folds?

[/ QUOTE ]
As damaniac says, if you think you can make 13SB postflop when you hit you could call preflop and fold the flop UI. 13SB isn't much considering all this preflop action...
Old 04-13-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the 3 bets back, you're getting 16:3. You are 7.5-1 to flop a set, and since you'll lose to an overset or some other hand sometimes given the number of people that are going to stick around in this pot, you should factor it in. Say you cut all the way back to 9:1. Then you'd need to make 27 sb's. You've 16 already, so merely 11 postflop which is going to be a piece of cake. Maybe adjust it a little more given you are going to often be roped into calling for the pot size on the flop (depending on position, you might not want to call if raisers are left to act since your effective odds are worse), but you're going to do fine calling.

Outside the blind it is 15:4, which means you'd have to make up 10 BB postflop. That'd be a fold.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:43 AM

Good points. Honestly, at the table I wasn't even thinking about set value. I was so busy thinking about being behind and how much I would hate my hand even with a "favorable" flop that I didn't think about potentially making up the bets on a set. Mistake on my part... but, if this is the case, then that means that you would be correct to call 3 cold with any PP in this situation... is that correct?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you would be correct to call 3 cold with any PP in this situation... is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:51 AM

I pitty the fool