Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM

Default Has there been a post yet about how big a wuss Tommy Reed is?

Sorry if already posted. I just watched it.

WSOP Circuit at Lake Tahoe on ESPN.

David Pham has QQ and raises, Reed has TT and calls, and Jeff Schechter has 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB and calls.

Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked around

Turn is a T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Check, check, Schechter bets, Pham calls ... and Reed FOLDS! And only for 30K (as if that should matter).

I've seen winning hands make tough folds. I've seen bad folds. I've never seen a more idiotic fold than this one. If Reed bets out, he might get a call from Schechter, and Pham almost certainly folds. Instead, he got the perfect storm with a bet and a call behind him, and he chose to give his opponents safe haven.

How do such low-wattage players make it to the final table of these events anyway?

Pham ended up winning the hand by calling Schechter again on the river after a brick fell. And then Reed tells Phil Ivey what he folded! Classic. Pham couldn't believe it when the info was relayed to him.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Has there been a post yet about how big a wuss Tommy Reed is?

It was discussed many times when this tournament first aired. And yes, he was toasted for that fold.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:16 PM

Link to threads?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Link to threads?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/search.php?Cat=0
Old 04-12-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Check, check, Schechter bets, Pham calls ... and Reed FOLDS! And only for 30K (as if that should matter).

I've seen winning hands make tough folds. I've seen bad folds. I've never seen a more idiotic fold than this one. If Reed bets out, he might get a call from Schechter, and Pham almost certainly folds. Instead, he got the perfect storm with a bet and a call behind him, and he chose to give his opponents safe haven.

How do such low-wattage players make it to the final table of these events anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably did it because he was afraid to put all his money in drawing slim to KQ or nearly dead to AA/JJ in front of a nationwide audience of millions.

It's probably also worth mentioning that even if youre up against an opponent who will call an all-in bet with as weak a range as {AA, JJ, 66, KQ, Kx [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Qx [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], any diamond suited connector}, you're only a coinflip to win (and in fact, if you take out the suited connectors and bizarre Qx hands and he calls with a range of {AA,JJ,66,KQ,Kx[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]}, you're a slight dog at 42%). It's only when we include the reasonable 2-pair hands (AT and AJ) that you get to 60% to win, and its only when we include the "wtf?" 2-pair hands (A6, J6, T6, JT) that you become a bit over 2-to-1.

It's not like he laid down the nuts on the river; he probably just got caught up in the pressure of playing with cameras in his face and, like many who are in that situation for the first time, made the decision that was least likely to involve him getting all his money in drawing slim. It's almost certainly a TV-table aberration because there's no way you could make plays like that all throughout a multi-day tournament and still make the final table unless you get beat with the deck like a redheaded stepchild. Give the man a break.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was discussed many times when this tournament first aired. And yes, he was toasted for that fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that many discussions suggested that he probably didn't hold TT. If he did, then that is the worst fold ever. I think the cards are very tough to make out when you actually see them on the hole cam and many think that the TT was just given to him by ESPN since that is what he claimed to have and they couldn't make out the cards. I may be mistaking this for a different situation.

I am fairly sure ESPN has stated that they have accepted a player's word for hole cards that couldn't be made out with the camera.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that many discussions suggested that he probably didn't hold TT. If he did, then that is the worst fold ever. I think the cards are very tough to make out when you actually see them on the hole cam and many think that the TT was just given to him by ESPN since that is what he claimed to have and they couldn't make out the cards. I may be mistaking this for a different situation.

I am fairly sure ESPN has stated that they have accepted a player's word for hole cards that couldn't be made out with the camera.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but after the hand, he told Ivey; "I screwed up" and then added that he had set of Ts. Ivey couldn't believe it and said something like..."you didn't have three tens, man..."
Old 04-12-2006, 07:18 PM

yer such a wuss, u would have open folded on the flop.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 PM

I wouldn't call 10 outs drawing slim. And no way does AA or JJ let this flop get checked through with the flush and straight draws out there.

Had Schechter bet the flop, I might be afraid of JJ here. He's not flat calling AA preflop with a raise and a call.

Fear of the cameras is a lousy crutch as well. Like you're going to be roasted if you bust out there against KJ or JJ. That's a fold very few people could make, but Reed made it for all the wrong reasons.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yer such a wuss, u would have open folded on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for defending your son, Mrs. Reed. You can go home now.