Hero: t2280
MP1: t1940
MP2: t2503
MP3: t1940
CO: t1439
Button: t2327
SB: t1725
BB: t1960

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t160</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t160 <font color="#aaaaaa">(pot was t220)</font>, 5 folds.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t380, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to t475</font>,Hero...?

$33 standard 10 person SnG. After 82 hands with villian he is a 20%/8%/2.75. I felt lost right here. What would you do in this situation?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: TT against a solid player OOP

I'd limp preflop so that this whole mess can be avoided.

You have a few options:

1) Folding doesn't really *hurt*
2) Call, check to him on the turn and see what he does
3) Call and lead a 1/2 pot bet into him on pretty much any turn card

I don't know if there's too much to pick from between any of those choices. An experienced player would probably pick choice #2 but it depends on your style.

Ryan
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 PM

Thanks Ryan. I thought the standard preflop play is to raise. I'm guessing you like to limp with TT when the blinds are really small?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:59 PM

limp preflop or raise 3x is ok. I hate raising 4x with TT here. I know HOH says to 4x it with TT and JJ to try and "shut everyone out." That line of thinking is horrible since anyone willing to call 3x is calling 4x.The bigger raise just swells the pot and makes this hand even harder to play oop. FWIW against a solid player here I think I would just fold since a good players range has you crushed right here.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Ryan. I thought the standard preflop play is to raise. I'm guessing you like to limp with TT when the blinds are really small?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just that. It's your position on the table. If this guy is a good player (or me), you're almost certainly dead to a T or runner runner here.

EDIT--By 'good' player I mean a 2+2 type. Some good players you have crushed here. But still, limping with TT from UTG preflop might actually give you more information about your opponents hands than raising it.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
limp preflop or raise 3x is ok. I hate raising 4x with TT here. I know HOH says to 4x it with TT and JJ to try and "shut everyone out." That line of thinking is horrible since anyone willing to call 3x is calling 4x.The bigger raise just swells the pot and makes this hand even harder to play oop. FWIW against a solid player here I think I would just fold since a good players range has you crushed right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that HOH is centered around MTT play, and raising with TT in an MTT UTG is a far more acceptable play at almost all blind levels.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW against a solid player here I think I would just fold since a good players range has you crushed right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I definitely agree. His most likely hands are a set or an overpair. He may have 88 or 99, but that is unlikely.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that HOH is centered around MTT play, and raising with TT in an MTT UTG is a far more acceptable play at almost all blind levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I was just refering to the fact that a lot of players that start out in sngs get a lot of there basic strategy from HOH not realizing its really flawed for STTs.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:19 PM

i'd fold after your cbet got raised.

your bets that look like cbets when an ace hits are more likely to be backed by real cards. after all, you'll have AK, AQ or AA in these circumstances more often than you won't. there are simply more ways to have AK, AQ or AA than it is to have KK, QQ, JJ or TT.

if they're raising you when you're likely to have AK, AQ or AA, i'd be content to fold. you can't win every hand, every pot. sometimes the overcard kills you, so move on.

there are much better places to get your money in.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd fold after your cbet got raised.

your bets that look like cbets when an ace hits are more likely to be backed by real cards. after all, you'll have AK, AQ or AA in these circumstances more often than you won't. there are simply more ways to have AK, AQ or AA than it is to have KK, QQ, JJ or TT.

if they're raising you when you're likely to have AK, AQ or AA, i'd be content to fold. you can't win every hand, every pot. sometimes the overcard kills you, so move on.

there are much better places to get your money in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a hater but what are you talking about? He should fold cause his value bet got reraised by a soldid player whos most likely holdings are JJ-QQ a set or AK-AJhh. I do not understand what you are talking about with AK, AQ, AA talk.

Edit: Ok I sorta see what you are talking about since you are refering to a hypothetical hand. However note that there is no over card on this flop.