Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:19 AM

Default My opinion of Greg Raymer changed completely...

When I first saw Greg Raymer it was way after ESPN's broadcast of the 2004 WSOP. I remember all my friends that I introduced to poker mentioning "Fossilman" "Fossilman" every time I ran into them. I had cut my cable off around that time because I needed to study hard. Well, I remember finally being at my friend's house one day and lo and behold they were showing one of the final table episodes. I was like, that's the Fossilman? I thought wow, another flukie who ends up winning the tourney. I'm not going to lie, I thought Raymer was a little nerdy. Well, fast forward to this year's WSOP and DAMN, Fossilman is tearing it up. Raymer reaches far as hell, surpassing more people then he did originally to win the whole thing. I got mad respect for Raymer. I mean like Dan Harrington type respect, like Johnny Chan winning back to back years type respect. The Fossilman isn't another flukie, he's the real deal, and he's here to stay. I also read an article about him in this month's All In magazine. He's no punk. Some idiot was bothering his wife and Raymer stood up in the middle of a tourney and told the guy if he didn't leave his family alone "I'll f*&king kill you." Wow. Plus he fought off two guys that tried to rob him at the Bellagio. They were strapped, and he got the best of them. Wow. Greg Raymer, a future poker Hall of Famer. I should copywright that.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: My opinion of Greg Raymer changed completely...

If you aren't a troll then you are extremely late.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 AM

excuse me, I'm brand new to this forum, thanks for the sarcasm...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:58 AM

You should also trademark "copywright"
Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should also trademark "copywright"

[/ QUOTE ]

If he called him Gregg Rawmer he could copywright that trademark too. Possibly patent it too, maybe Greg could help him with that!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:15 AM

These are all things that most of us around here were already aware of.

Raymer was one of the best tourney strategy posters on these forums prior to winning the WSOP (since then he hasn't been posting quite as much strategy stuff).

Something else that a lot of ESPN viewers probably don't realize is that the 2004 WSOP was something like his 500th live tourney I think.
Yes, he qualified for it online just like Moneymaker did....but Raymer had mucho big tourney experience while Moneymaker had zero.
Yet many people still seem to think that Raymer was just as much of a 'fluke' (as it were) as Moneymaker which very obviously isn't the case.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 AM

Fossilman was eating a the same restaurant as my uncle and aunt about 8 months ago. My uncle had ordered a pepper steak rare. Instead the waiter brought him some cut of meat with sauteed mushrooms on top. My uncle explained to the waiter that he had ordered a pepper steak (rare), but the waiter checked his notepad and felt certain that my uncle had ordered the mushroom steak. Some more words were exchanged and my uncle's voice was raised a bit. Fossilman and his party, sitting pretty close, undoubtedly couldn't help but notice. In any event, the waiter relented and agreed to take back the mushroom steak and return with a pepper steak. About 10 minutes later the waiter returned, this time with what appeared to be a pepper steak -- however, the cut of meat didn't look all that great and when my uncle cut into it it seemed a bit tough. One fine cut later it was pretty clear that not only was the cut of meat substandard, but it had been cooked medium (maybe medium-well)! My uncle called the waiter back over and more words were exchanged. The conversation grew heated, my uncle flushing red in the face (and my aunt blushing as virtually all eyes in the restuarant gazed at their table). The waiter threw down his towel (you know, the little one that they carry folded over their arm) on the table, insulting my uncle in a most impolite manner. My uncle rose, prepared to come to blows if necessary, when the Fossilman stepped in. Fosssilman stated "I am the Fossilman; I dine here regularly and order the finest from your menu. However, if you do not correct this mistake and bring this fine man a proper pepper steak, rare, I shall never offer my custom here again!" The waiter was shamed into silence and only the approaching maitre 'd could salvage what was left of the situation; he assured Fossilman that my uncle would receive the finest steak in the house, and promised a wonderful bottle of wine for each of my uncle's and Fossilman's table. Fossilman shook with the maitre 'd and exchanged a steely glance with uncle, finally softening into a warm smile and giving a playful wink, saying "It's a good restaurant, but sometimes you just have to stand up and speak truth to power." My uncle thanked him warmly. The waiter stooped and retrieved his little towel (the wine towel thing they put over their arms). Soon, my uncle was enjoying a fabulous pepper steak (rare), and to this day my aunt talks about the veal served that evening. Fossilman has, since that night, been a personal hero to me.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fossilman has, since that night, been a personal hero to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I met Fossilman once. He was 7 feet tall and shot fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:18 AM

There are sockets in Greg Raymer’s arms and feet for the heads of four smaller Greg Raymers to connect into. Together they merge and become the Fossil-Cator. To date, this has only happened once.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fossilman was eating a the same restaurant as my uncle and aunt about 8 months ago. My uncle had ordered a pepper steak rare. Instead the waiter brought him some cut of meat with sauteed mushrooms on top. My uncle explained to the waiter that he had ordered a pepper steak (rare), but the waiter checked his notepad and felt certain that my uncle had ordered the mushroom steak. Some more words were exchanged and my uncle's voice was raised a bit. Fossilman and his party, sitting pretty close, undoubtedly couldn't help but notice. In any event, the waiter relented and agreed to take back the mushroom steak and return with a pepper steak. About 10 minutes later the waiter returned, this time with what appeared to be a pepper steak -- however, the cut of meat didn't look all that great and when my uncle cut into it it seemed a bit tough. One fine cut later it was pretty clear that not only was the cut of meat substandard, but it had been cooked medium (maybe medium-well)! My uncle called the waiter back over and more words were exchanged. The conversation grew heated, my uncle flushing red in the face (and my aunt blushing as virtually all eyes in the restuarant gazed at their table). The waiter threw down his towel (you know, the little one that they carry folded over their arm) on the table, insulting my uncle in a most impolite manner. My uncle rose, prepared to come to blows if necessary, when the Fossilman stepped in. Fosssilman stated "I am the Fossilman; I dine here regularly and order the finest from your menu. However, if you do not correct this mistake and bring this fine man a proper pepper steak, rare, I shall never offer my custom here again!" The waiter was shamed into silence and only the approaching maitre 'd could salvage what was left of the situation; he assured Fossilman that my uncle would receive the finest steak in the house, and promised a wonderful bottle of wine for each of my uncle's and Fossilman's table. Fossilman shook with the maitre 'd and exchanged a steely glance with uncle, finally softening into a warm smile and giving a playful wink, saying "It's a good restaurant, but sometimes you just have to stand up and speak truth to power." My uncle thanked him warmly. The waiter stooped and retrieved his little towel (the wine towel thing they put over their arms). Soon, my uncle was enjoying a fabulous pepper steak (rare), and to this day my aunt talks about the veal served that evening. Fossilman has, since that night, been a personal hero to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. I'm not quite sure what to make of this.