Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Default 2 cold for a split...or not

40-80 game at Borgata. Great game featuring couple of retards and UTG in this hand is one of them. He was taking about 80% of the flops but playing somewhat passively out of position. SB in this hand is an old dude who have been playing tight preflop but very bad postflop.
UTG limps and its folded to me on the button. I raise, SB calls and UTG calls. Now I look at my hand and find 99 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Flop J76 rainbow
Checked to me and I bet and get two calls.
Turn is 8 completing the rainbow.
Sb checks, UTG bets and I call (Raise? Fold?), sb calls as well.
River is 5
Sb bets all in , UTG raises, Sb mumbles that he cant win now (and I don’t think he is acting here). It’s on me…
Old 04-10-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: 2 cold for a split...or not

I'd usually raise the turn - you would think he'd go for a checkraise if he turned the straight. He might just be betting an 8 or a jack or something like 98 which he is unsure of. Of course, he could also have you smoked. But, the raise would often be (partly) to clear the SB and if he only has a hundo or so left, that might not work. But I still raise since it's possible you have the best hand and the SB could still fold even if short.

As played, I call the two on the end since you think SB isn't acting.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2006, 12:36 PM

Jeff
With Sb having 1 BB left on the turn, i felt that i would be charging mostly myself if behind on the turn. Also folding for 3 bet is not an option on the turn and there is no telling what UTG can come up with...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:35 PM

Yea, I don't think just calling on the turn is that bad in this situation with the SB so short. I prob raise anyway but I see your point...I'd almost definitely raise if SB wasn't short though. If SB had like 160, I'd still likely raise bc he might want to keep that. Just 80? Then calling is ok, but I think raising is ok also b/c I think you are somewhat likely to have the best hand.

Jeff