Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 04:02 PM

Default Questions about Windows Vista

1) Whens it coming out?

2) Will it be necessary to upgrade to run software that comes out afterwards (particularly games)?

3) How much will it cost?

4) If I plan on buying a desktop PC this summer should I wait for Vista? Will there be a pricedrod on PCs that are XP-native (if that's the right term) when vistas released?]

5) What's the alliance race in WoW: The Burning Crusade gonna be? Come on, I know you know you sneaky bastards.

Edit: Also, whens the next major chip coming out from Intel, pentium 5?
Old 04-08-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Questions about Windows Vista

I'm planning on buying a new computer when vista comes out in early 2007. It was recently delayed till around then, critically missing the christmas season for M$
Old 04-08-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm planning on buying a new computer when vista comes out in early 2007. It was recently delayed till around then, critically missing the christmas season for M$

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the season is that important when it comes to releasing an operating system when you already have 95% of the OS pie. The sales are guaranteed unless the system is unuseable. Besides which sales are mainly to businesses and not gift purchases I'd guess.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Whens it coming out?

[/ QUOTE ]
Real soon now. Hard to say. They keep pushing it back.

2) [ QUOTE ]
Will it be necessary to upgrade to run software that comes out afterwards (particularly games)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly, but probably not.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing 100-150 for upgrade, 200-300 for full, maybe a little more for the "Professional" or "media center" versions if they have those.
[ QUOTE ]
4) If I plan on buying a desktop PC this summer should I wait for Vista? Will there be a pricedrod on PCs that are XP-native (if that's the right term) when vistas released?]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would not upgrade to vista or buy a computer with it until the first service pack comes out. New versions of Windows are often very buggy. Let somebody else deal with the bugs. The first service pack will fix the worst of the bugs. You might get a better price on a computer wit XP after Vista comes out.

[ QUOTE ]
5) What's the alliance race in WoW: The Burning Crusade gonna be? Come on, I know you know you sneaky bastards.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't help you with that one.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Whens it coming out?

2) Will it be necessary to upgrade to run software that comes out afterwards (particularly games)?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) January - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...eliveryPR.mspx

2) Probably not for a couple of years.

3) XP was 99 home upgrade 199 home retail 299 pro retail iirc. I don't think official vista pricing has been released.

4) It's up to you. Anything out this summer that's at least $850 will probably run vista fine if you want to upgrade later.

5) Wisps!