Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM

Default Implementing Cash Game into MTT, Not Working

Chris Ferguson told a player at one time or another that the way to achieving success in a NLH multi table tournament was to play it exaclty like you play your best cash game. For me that's LAG with a VPIP ranging from 30-35%, preflop raising of 10-12% and a moderately high aggression factor.

While this works well in the early stages, because I can cheaply see flops and invest small into them, it's working against me in the med/late stages when chip accumulation through blind stealing is essential. I feel like when I get involved with a stack of 20BB and miss my flop, but pick up a draw, my only move is pushing. I do this because I feel like if I get called, I have live outs, and I'm no worse than 30% to double up. Not only, I feel like if I c-bet the flop, I feel handicapped if I miss my draw on the turn, which leads to a weak/tigh check. But I push becaus he calls, I win, or he'll fold and I'll probably take a pot w/o showdown netting me 1/4th my stack, which is also nice.

More of what I just said....

However, it's not working, well, I get overzealous and push situations that I should value bet. And my opponents must see this as weak, and call with TPNK or 2nd pair. It happens in situations like pushing 25BB on a flopped flush draw or open ender. But I don't do this when I flop TPTK, I bet TPTK like a normal person would. I get very impulsive in situations like this and tend not to think about what I'm doing. This can only be corrected by me.

~So my question is this. How can I difereniate my game in the mid/late stages when I feel like I have no confidence c-betting flops that I miss, verses pushing them? Pushing them is much easier than c-betting because I don't have to play poker past the flop. Secondly, I read a post by Jurullo that states OOP raises aren't as bad as some make them out to be, because the hands really don't lose that much value. (might be off) So is it acceptable to open for 3x the big blind with 8-6 or 9-10? Or am I still looking to play nothing unless I'm on the button, cutoff, hijack, and hijack + 1, and 2 (LP) Folding everything UTG and MP.

~What hands should I be blind stealing with? Any ace? Suited Kings? Any broadway? Any pair? Any suited connector?

~My stack is at 15-25BB, how many times per orbit should I be raising to steal blinds . . . 1,2,3?

'Preciate it...

PS - I have HoH1, just got it, haven't begun it yet, out of curiosity, how much has this book helped you?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Implementing Cash Game into MTT, Not Working

[ QUOTE ]

~What hands should I be blind stealing with? Any ace? Suited Kings? Any broadway? Any pair? Any suited connector?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands that you can get away from. Ax are bad, in my opinion. If you're called and the flop contains an ace. You have an ace with a weak kicker. Can you get away from this hand?

edit: HOH1 & 2 are excellent books and should improve your tourney game drastically.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:19 PM

This doesn't really work in an online MTT where you never have more than like 75BBs, since in a cash game (if you're playing correctly) you will always have 100BB or more.

IMO anyway.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't really work in an online MTT where you never have more than like 75BBs, since in a cash game (if you're playing correctly) you will always have 100BB or more.

IMO anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

What doesn't work? Please elaborate. I'd like some discussion on this. I think a lot of decent cash game players walk into tournaments highly confused.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:39 PM

I think his comment applies to the very deep stack, large buy in live tourneys he plays in. In an online tourney with starting stacks of 1500, I don't think Jesus would apply this advice.

Holdemphile
Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think his comment applies to the very deep stack, large buy in live tourneys he plays in. In an online tourney with starting stacks of 1500, I don't think Jesus would apply this advice.

Holdemphile

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The extreme LAG strategy is ineffective because of the variance of MTTs. In a rebuy tournament this could be very effective however, since you can replenish your stack after losing some chips.

In normal freezeouts, you need to conserve chips for big hands.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM

Yea, online tourneys do not allow a lot of post-flop play and they don't allow for splashing around in pots with speculative hands most of the time unless you are a massive chipleader. Your stacks just aren't deep enough and the blinds come like [censored] freight trains.

My cash game is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy different than my tourney game. I'm so much more LAGgy and I make a lot more moves than I do in tourneys. I love pre-flop flat calling in cash games, but I think I hit the call button in tourneys maybe a total of 10 times lol. It's way different.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:02 PM

It's clicking. I'm willing to bet that my cash game is somewhat similar to your's authority11. However, I'm not differing my styles in MTT. The Laggyness works fine in the first 4 rounds because I can invest cheaply, and get out cheaply. But it doesn't work when the blinds are 1/20th of your stack.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:09 PM

For you question on how often you should steal. Phil Gordon recommends 1.3 times per orbit. Personally I like raise with any 2 cards whenever it folds to me in the HJ/CO/BUT until that stops working.

C-Dog
Old 04-08-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For you question on how often you should steal. Phil Gordon recommends 1.3 times per orbit. Personally I like raise with any 2 cards whenever it folds to me in the HJ/CO/BUT until that stops working.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda what I'm looking for. Raising with any 2 anytime it folds to me in the HJ/CO/BUTT. I like this.