Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Learning LO8, A2xx, Ace flops.

Hi. This is my first post on this forum. Comments on every round of betting appreciated.

Poker Stars
Limit Omaha Ring game
Limit: $0.02/$0.04
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (16SB, 8 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8BB, 8 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (22BB, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 34BB
Old 04-08-2006, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Learning LO8, A2xx, Ace flops.

I would probably fold on the flop, chances are someone has 23 and the nut straight and low, you were drawing to the miracle 3 for the nut low, and your trip aces were really no good as it's easy to see that someone may have had a heart draw, and a fullhouse.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:53 AM

Really have to fold the flop to a bet, but
its checked around which is very interesting
for a .02/.04 game.

Im almost 99% postive someone has you beat
on the high side.

Low is interesting, hard to say really, but
probably beat. Defently call the turn (don't raise)
and prob fold the river, but hey this is .02/.04
so who really knows.

The real advice, stop torturing yourself at .02/.04
Old 04-08-2006, 04:15 AM

Don't overvalue trips. You have the 4th nut low and most likely are already facing a boat. At most I call the turn. 100% not reraising. You close the betting so use that to your advantage.

By the river, you caught in a sandwich of raising and you are the "typical" fish here. Dump!

I am a firm believer of saving up a bit of money and "paying tuition" to learn the game of choice. At those micro limits you won't learn anything except bad habits.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:16 AM

Call the turn- try to make a boat/wheel - see a cheap showdown.
This isnt likely a spot where you are ever getting more than half a pot- and you are most often still drawing to that half on this turn.
This feels like many hands I have seen where the turn raise is the hope that you can end up good on one half OR the other. One probem is that you can hardly ever force people off whatever they have called with... which means you arent cleaning up much.
You have a whole bunch of ways to get some part of this pot on the river but it's only part. Get there cheaply.
With the chance to close the action I think you have to call the turn and dump the river when you feel the sandwich.
This is a case where you can use your position better.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:32 AM

Samara - At higher limits it is not uncommon for someone to slow-play a flopped wheel for one round.

Thus when SB checks after the flop at higher limits it would not at all mean SB does not have a wheel.

Then when SB bets the turn, it could either be with a wheel, a full house, or just three aces.

Or, at the two cent, four cent level it could be a very poorly timed bluff attempt. Very hard to know with much certainty.

When MP2 comes alive after the river is a queen, it looks a lot as though MP2 has a full house, perhaps with AQXY or QQXY. And that makes it look all the more like SB slow played a wheel for one round (with 23XY).

But who knows what these people are thinking. Maybe they're just playing very badly.

At higher limits, I think you should simply call on the turn and fold to the double bet on the river. And if you are practicing at this low limit to learn how to play at higher limits, then that's what I think you should do here.

The first two betting rounds were fine.

Buzz
Old 04-08-2006, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The real advice, stop torturing yourself at .02/.04

[/ QUOTE ]

Wise gave me the same advice as I was recently playing the .02/.04 limit trying to learn the game.

I moved up as suggested and I'm glad I did.

Keep posting any hands that you have questions on and these guys will help you get it straight. They are all good players and they also explain the game very well.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Then when SB bets the turn, it could either be with a wheel, a full house, or just three aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buzz, I now see that I should've call the turn, c/f river.
However, how about raising the turn? Don't you gain more info on SB, like in this case, his re-raise mean he has the 23?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:07 PM

Again, thanks all for the advice. Those who said I should play something other than .02/.04, I ask which level should I jump to? Keep in mind that I'm learning.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:03 PM

That is really only a question you can answer. Your bankroll and the amount of risk your willing to take will influence your decision.

The players at .5/1 are terrible (paradise LO8) in the game I have moved up to and I get to clear a bonus at the same time.

I'm learning as well and for the month Im down 19 BB's in that game but I know if I keep playing good starting hands, the flops will eventually hit me and I will get ahead. I have earned $20 in bonus so its not that bad. Kind of sucks looking in PTO and seeing those bigger red numbers than I'm used to seeing.

I guess the next few limits above .5/1 the play isn't great but the red numbers can get even bigger. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

GL