Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 01:52 PM

Default AA facing turn raise - 50NL

I just sat down, this was maybe my 5th or 6th hand at the table so I have no reads on the opponent. Probably should have bet more like 10-12 on the turn, but as played whats the best line here?

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $52.40
CO: $93.60
Hero: $48.75
SB: $105.75
BB: $48.50

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $4</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($12.5, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $19</font>, Hero...
Old 04-07-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: AA facing turn raise - 50NL

I hate to do it, am not happy about it, probably wouldnt in the heat of battle, but no read and I think I fold there. the only real draw just gout there and he is saying that he has your hand beat.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:08 PM

that turn bet was so weak that you have to call....for all you know he's raising perceivd weakness.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:12 PM

As played, I call turn and re-evaluate on the river. I find AJ/KJ/QJ even TJ more then 78/55/66. If we see the river and villan leads out, then I'm folding ($12+ bet, less I call) but if he checks then I check behind. Calling on the turn makes the pot $60 and we have $35 behind.

I could also advocate a push on the Turn as we might get called by AJ/KJ but we always get called by a set and never by Air.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Probably call, but this stinks of 55 or 66.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't know why your betting more on the turn. Your bet makes it 7:19 or 1:2.7 odds. The implied odds may be there, but you have effectively made any drawing had questionable. That is what you want on a turn bet with this hand. The turn bet was the right size, IMHO.

The reraise is tough, I don't know if a strong made hand plays it this way or if this is way to get you off the pot. I would expect a strong made hand to call and wait for the river, based on your aggression so far in the hand, it is likely they could make a play there.

However, all you have is top pair, with 2 outs to improve. If the villan does have the made hand (straight) that they are representing, then you have 0 outs. A slowplayed set is also a possibility.

Either way, you have one pair, on a coordinated board, and just got check raised a pot sized bet. If this was a min-raise I could see a call, but as is, I think it is a fold.

Margon

Edit - Just read the other responses and I would like to say that doing a POT sized bet on the Flop and Turn will often commit more chips to the pot than you really want to. I like a 2/3 to 1/1 PSB on the flop, 1/2 to 2/3 on the turn, and 1/2 on the river for value. I will vary by opponent, but that is pretty much what I stick to most of the time.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:39 PM

I don't understand the logic behind all the people saying call here. By calling, hero has half his stack in the middle now, and very well could be drawing dead or very slim. As played I would fold here most of the time. The only other play I see is push.

I prefer checking behind on the turn here and value betting the river/folding to a push.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:42 PM

rule of thumb

against a sane opponent, turn ckrz your 1 pair is toast
Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the logic behind all the people saying call here. By calling, hero has half his stack in the middle now, and very well could be drawing dead or very slim. As played I would fold here most of the time. The only other play I see is push.

I prefer checking behind on the turn here and value betting the river/folding to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Normal 25/50NL Player overvaules TPTK/GK so I see KJ/AJ here more then a set who would probably call our turn and let us lead at the river again
Old 04-07-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Normal 25/50NL Player overvaules TPTK/GK so I see KJ/AJ here more then a set who would probably call our turn and let us lead at the river again

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think this is TPTK/GK more of the time than a set/str8, why not push then? Villain will be getting 2 to 1 with his TPTK, and being a bad player anyways, if this is indeed what he has, he will call regardless.

Calling just bloats the pot and gives you a very tough river decision.