Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Shamrock vs. Tito as Coaches

Tito is definitely more hands on and emphatic. He knows how to let his fighters like and respect him. He definitely has the better ability to use his emotions to influence his fighters. He listens well, and is veru good at inspiring his fighters.

But I think that Ken, though aloof, is a lot more strategic. He didn't bring in a jiujitsu coach because he knows that the guys there already know jiujitsu. What he brought instead was a conditioning and nutrition coach because he knows that skills are useless if a fighter is not in shape. I also liked how he used those sandbags to test the fighters' heart. He knows he really does not have much time to add to their skills. So he instead focuses on conditioning and motivation. I don't think he's there to be popular with his fighters.

Overall, Shamrock is the better coach while Ortiz is the better human being.
I pick the better coach to have the winning team in the end.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Shamrock vs. Tito as Coaches

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't bring in a jiujitsu coach because he knows that the guys there already know jiujitsu.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really interesting, I mean Tiger woods still works on his golf swing...and aren't some of the guys there bad enough at jiujitsu that they could benefit? Is Ken going to work on jiujitsu with them at all?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM

He claims not to know any jiujitsu (we know he's lying). He says, "I'm a leglock kinda guy".
Old 04-07-2006, 02:33 PM

I'm sorry, but Ortiz is a MUCH better coach than Shamrock.

If a fighter doesn't know about nutritioning, than they shouldnt be fighting. A normal nonMMA person like me and you know the basics of nutrition, and I bet fighters know most of it all. Like the guy with the missing tooth said, its 2006, if you dont know juijitsu you cant fight.

Ortiz also shows his team that they have to work like that in order to achieve greatness like he has. He brought amazing trainers, wish will increase their skill. Matt Hamlin(my pick to win it all for his division) couldnt be the jujitsu coach, and he wanted to keep trying, that showed heart. If he was on Ken's team, he wouldnt of got that training and learned to eat proteins.

Ortiz came in to this well prepared, and it will show at the end.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Any thoughts on Tito picking Mike Stine over Ed Herman? The earlier comment about not teaching them new stuff in this short of a time applies. Stine was dead meat if the fight went to the ground, and it showed. Herman was a much better well-rounded fighter and IMO should have been Tito's choice.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM

Ken was very smart. Each time Tito picked someone, he (Ken) immediately picked a person who could potentially beat that someone. Then when he won the flip for who would fight first, he picked the strongest to fight the weakest. This would give them a victory momentum/streak that would demoralize Team Ortiz.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ken was very smart. Each time Tito picked someone, he (Ken) immediately picked a person who could potentially beat that someone. Then when he won the flip for who would fight first, he picked the strongest to fight the weakest. This would give them a victory momentum/streak that would demoralize Team Ortiz.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if Ortiz won the toss, they would of went on that same streak that would crush Shamrock.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on Tito picking Mike Stine over Ed Herman? The earlier comment about not teaching them new stuff in this short of a time applies. Stine was dead meat if the fight went to the ground, and it showed. Herman was a much better well-rounded fighter and IMO should have been Tito's choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was a dumb choice he made. Given the choice between 2 one dimensional fighters with one being a striker and the other being a wrestler my money would be on the wrestler everytime. To give you a quick example of this try punching your wife/girlfriend while she is hugging you. I've tried and I soon realized that I just couldn't get the leverage needed to put her away (just kidding of course).
Old 04-07-2006, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if Ortiz won the toss, they would of went on that same streak that would crush Shamrock.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know this, especially since it hasn't been the overall strategy in the past amongst the coaches. He very well could have had his fighter picked and then asked for the fighter's thoughts on who he would like to face...since Tito is personable and seems to give and take with his students. He could have used Ken's strategy as well, but you don't know this.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:45 PM

You are insane. Ken's coaching staff is awful. The nutrionist will be of very limited value, since most of these guys will know that stuff already.

Dean Lister, on the other hand, is literally one of the best pure grapplers in the world and has fought in Pride. Getting to spar and learn from him so far outweighs what the nutritionist can add that it is comical.

Shamrock is kinda like an old school baseball manager. He just doesn't know what is important anymore. I thought Ortiz might be like that too, but he showed me a lot. Like all the fighters on the show, I would have been really pissed to be chosen by Shamrock.