Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Default Whats your method of moving up limits

When deciding to move up limits, how badly do you need to be crushing your current limit to be moving up?

Is it wise at all to move up to the next limit even if you have a proper bankroll for it but are just a marginal winner at your current limit?

Im guess the answer to my second question is no. But im just wondering whats the minimum winrate you should be achieving at your current limit in deciding whether or not to move up, keeping in mind that you have the proper bankroll for the next limit.

Ptbb/100 numbers or whatever would be nice.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Whats your method of moving up limits

Depends on how high the limit, your bankroll, whether you are doing it for a living, how well you are doing and psychologically how the money affects you.

So if you are new, playing $1/$2 or some low limit you have a high paying job and you are beating the game you can move up fairly easily. The standard 300BB rule applies.

If you are playing 10/20, are a marginal winner, playing for a living and feeding a family. Plus you have tilt problems when you have lost say $1k in a day you probably shouldn't move up to 15/30 or 20/40 anytime soon.

If you are a marginal winner you probably shouldn't move up because the whole idea of moving up is to make more money. A marginal winner will have an even smaller edge at a higher limit (if any) with more variance.

BB/100 depends as for limit anything above 1.5BB/100 is good and 1bb/100 is marginal. Of course this only counts to about 20/40. After that your winrate can be much lower.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:02 AM

I am incredibly confident I can beat anywhere from 10/20 to 30/60, but I currently have the BR for only 10/20.

I don't move up 100%, but I will take shots from time to time, and if I run well I may be able to move up sooner, and if I run poorly I will stick at my current level until I build enough back up to take a shot.

Luckily I do not have any expenses to worry about though and my BR is incredibly isolated from my day to day spending, which aids in this approach.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:13 AM

I move up once I feel I'm beating the hell out of the old limit, and I have 600-1000BB for the new limit.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:20 AM

I think a person should NEVER "move" up. Right now I play at 3 different levels and am always testing the water higher.

Why put yourself at ONE level. Go where the games are. If you are playing 2/4 a lot - test 3/6 every so often until you feel good. Once you get comfortable you will all of a sudden be picking 3/6 as the limit of choice.

Then if you get on a hot streak, test 5/10 for a couple orbits. Who knows - it might be wonderful.

There is not a lot of difference between limits except for .5/1 and 1/2,
Old 04-07-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is not a lot of difference between limits except for .5/1 and 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's just wrong.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:02 AM

I employed a different strategy at low stakes compared to mid-stakes. At low stakes I was pretty aggressive at moving up every time I hit around 250-300BB until I reached around 5/10.

Now, I normally play a range of limits, having around 1000BB for my main game. However, I will often play lower (easier games, less variance, less stress) and sometimes play in a bigger game when it looks soft or I feel like I'm playing A+ poker. This means that when I do have the role to move up properly, I am already somewhat accustomed to the variance and the regulars in the game etc.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is not a lot of difference between limits except for .5/1 and 1/2

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is wrong - what I MEANT to say was there is a LOT of difference between the two - the MOST of any two limits.

Sorry
Old 04-07-2006, 02:37 PM

I generally move up when I have the 300 BBs for the next level. If I am getting close to that and I see a soft game, I'll take a shot. Its working really well so far, although I ran pretty hot through 3/6 (3.5 BB/100). But I haven't cooled down yet at 5/10.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:16 PM

i get bored and start railing the 50/100 or 100/200 tables. then i think, 'these guys are [censored], i should sit'. then i make $1600 in two orbits and remember i suck and go back to 15/30.