Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 12:13 AM

Default How to stop being weaktight ?

I read a lot about taking advantage of a weaktight player, and I think I might be borderline weaktight. I started to play on stars a few month ago, and I am doing OK in the small tournaments. (Make money about 2 of 3 times in 1$+10c NL tourneys) However my problem with the weaktight strategy is that eventually there will be big stacks at the table that swat flies as Dan Harrington calls in the HOH 2.
Anybody have any pointers for me ?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: How to stop being weaktight ?

dont play as if they can see your hole cards - they cant
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 AM

If you're playing dollar SNGs, weak-tight is the way to go. Making the money two times out of three is phenomenal success.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:49 AM

step 1- get drunk
step 2- play micro stakes

rage on them.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing dollar SNGs, weak-tight is the way to go. Making the money two times out of three is phenomenal success.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/3 ITM is really phenomenal. Honestly, "weak" tight isn't so weak at that level. It's not like they're gonna fold, so just bet your good hands, and suddenly, you're tight-aggressive. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket (or chips in one hand) unless it's with a monster, because they'll call you to see that gut-shot. Good Luck!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 AM

Peddle the nuts. You'd be surprised how willing they are to take it on the chin with any draw.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:28 PM

Thank you, but I like to do more than just make the money, which on PS is mostly in the top 3 spots which I can't even get close. Any ideas on how to loosen up ones game without becoming a LAG?
Or put in other words- how to transition from weaktight to Tight - aggressive?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:08 PM

1) Keep reading books (or start if you haven't already)
2) Review your hands away from the table
3) Read the posts in the appropriate forums ("1-table Tournaments" for SNG's, "Multi-table Tournaments" for MTT's).
4) Post hands + ask for advice in the appropriate forums.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:09 AM

Playing limit would help, actually, since you'll get punished less (punishment for playing more aggressively is what you fear at present). I think a useful idea is to get to know your opponents as you play, and make notes on them if it's reasonable to do so (as it is on PP, where I play primarily). You'll notice that certain opponents get quite a ways ahead of their hand - compare their play on all streets, to what you might do with the same hand. Against these guys, take a look at the flop with your usual hands, and if you catch middle pair or better, throw in a raise against them. If you get reraised, call down a few times. Sometimes you'll lose, but you'll be surprised how often you win. If you have a bigger hand, say TPTK, put in two raises and call down. If you've got a set or better (made hands only) and the board isn't terribly threatening, give him all the action he can handle.

Obviously this isn't necessarily going to be optimal strategy most of the time, but it'll get you in the habit of raising your better hands and probably help you see that aggression (at least) doesn't HURT your roll.

I'm not suggesting you add bluffing to your repertoire, because at low limits, it's often of little value. Nor am I suggesting you get real aggressive with other tight opponents (whether they're aggressive themselves or not). While aggression has its place against tougher players, particularly against weak tight ones, these may not be the best guys to learn against while trying to get over the "weak tight" hurdle yourself, since you'll be up against hands against which you have little edge on average, and your goal is to reinforce the right ideas in yourself. A run of bad luck against people playing solid starting hands might push you psychologically back toward a weaker sort of game. As you gain experience, it becomes easier to handle playing more aggressively yourself and you'll get a better feel for when you're okay to raise and when you aren't (and thus, will be able to get away from artificial systems such as I'm suggesting).

Good luck,
Jogger
Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read a lot about taking advantage of a weaktight player, and I think I might be borderline weaktight. I started to play on stars a few month ago, and I am doing OK in the small tournaments. (Make money about 2 of 3 times in 1$+10c NL tourneys)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, but I like to do more than just make the money, which on PS is mostly in the top 3 spots which I can't even get close. Any ideas on how to loosen up ones game without becoming a LAG?
Or put in other words- how to transition from weaktight to Tight - aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is true, that you "make money about 2 of 3 times," or that you "can't even get close"?

They can't both be true. Which is it?

The answer to the question, "How to transition from weak-tight to tight-aggressive" is to play more aggressively.