Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Flop check raise foiled

CO has played ~40% of his hands, raises too much, and bets virtually every flop he sees. Button just joined the table. I figured I could check raise CO since he probably has garbage, but the button complicated the situation. Thoughts?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero..
Old 04-07-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Flop check raise foiled

Bet the flop. Since your read on CO is a bit too aggro, bet out and hope he raises to shut off the button.

Check-raising the flop (knowing CO will bet) is better suited to trap the button between you and CO. That doesn't seem like your what you want here given your reads.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:43 AM

Lead into him. If button 3-bets or raises, I think you could safely fold. If button just joined, has he picked up on CO's behaviour already?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. Since your read on CO is a bit too aggro, bet out and hope he raises to shut off the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
nice
Old 04-07-2006, 01:26 AM

Definitely lead this flop. I want to run off the button and if CO is that LAGgy then he should raise facing the button for 2 cold. With no read on the button I probably fold this as is. Don't like our hand on a draw heavy board staring at 2 bets.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:28 AM

Alright thanks everyone. I felt afterward my play didn't make much sense given the presence of the button.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:18 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with everything in this thread and play the results-oriented card - I checkraise this flop all day. I don't see the value in protecting a pot that has 3 bets in it with only 2 potential overcards. If button is new to the table he doesn't know much about CO and even if he did that's even more of a reason to check so you can 3bet their asses.

As it played out, it is a very close decision, but going completely readless I will probably fold on the basis that an unknown .5/1 coldcaller probably isn't that aggressive, and the pot isn't that big. I don't think a call would be terrible though.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM

I normally fold this pre-flop. Fold the flop.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM

yep, this is a very standard flop check

people are being results-oriented based on the flop bet and raise but also, a lot of people just actually do donkbet top pair like this regardless of preflop action
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to have to disagree with everything in this thread and play the results-oriented card - I checkraise this flop all day. I don't see the value in protecting a pot that has 3 bets in it with only 2 potential overcards. If button is new to the table he doesn't know much about CO and even if he did that's even more of a reason to check so you can 3bet their asses.

As it played out, it is a very close decision, but going completely readless I will probably fold on the basis that an unknown .5/1 coldcaller probably isn't that aggressive, and the pot isn't that big. I don't think a call would be terrible though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I play this hand too.