Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 06:07 PM

Default Internet vs Live......Jekyll vs Hyde

I have noticed that I play way too many hands on the internet yet while playing live I am a rock and WILL not play unreasonably even when I am stuck! In a nutshell I am a major tilter online but, I have too much pride to play like a moron when I have to look someone in the eye after doing it. Anyone else have similiar results? Any psychologists out there have an explanation for this? Also when I play live I have been told that my game is more solid (by legitimate friends) when I have drank a few beers. To most this is backwards but, I have a little reminder going off in the back of my head when I drink to act a sensible as possible whether I am playing poker or doing anything else. Should I give up the internet game for the live one even though my bankroll is too small for a $1/2 NL game ($2k)? Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Internet vs Live......Jekyll vs Hyde

Lots of questions here.
1. Anyone else have similiar results?
2. Any psychologists out there have an explanation for this?
3. Also when I play live I have been told that my game is more solid (by legitimate friends) when I have drank a few beers.
4. Should I give up the internet game for the live one even though my bankroll is too small for a $1/2 NL game ($2k)?

--------------

1/2. What else are you doing on your computer besides playing poker? Are you distracted? It's harder to feel the money online, so it's much easier to play loose.
3. It's possible that you play better when drunk. This also means you don't play well sober. How does your game change after drinking? Some people get more aggressive while other play tighter. This would help you if you were too timid or too loose before.
4. How easily can you replace your bankroll if you bust? If you have a fluid BR, then you might be better off playing in this game. However, you sound like you have holes in your game. In this case, I would recommend taking control of your game first before you attempt a series of shots at 1/2.