Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Check out this hand?

I couldn't put this person on a precise hand but guessed a lower flush. What hand would you put villain on?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

SB (t3080)
BB (t1580)
UTG (t1320)
UTG+1 (t1560)
MP1 (t2140)
MP2 (t2440)
Hero (t560)
CO (t5970)
Button (t820)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t180</font>, SB calls t180, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t360</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, SB calls t620, Hero calls t180 (All-In).

Turn: (t2240) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2240) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2240
Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Check out this hand?

Given the board and your short stack, just push the flop.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:55 PM

With such a small stack I would fold A9s preflop. I might make a button call if there were more than one limper in front of me -- but not too often. Not with only 500 behind.

I would fire out a bet on the flop (with such a short stack I might even just push). You didn't flop a monstser, you flopped a draw. Why "trap" other players with a check/min-raise?

Can you give your thought process on every action? Because I really don't see what you're trying to accomplish with these bets.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM

I was going for the flush draw which is why I limped in with a short stack. I decided to checkraise post flop and probably should have gone all-in at that point. Anyone able to put Villain on a hand?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:07 PM

If I had to guess a range for villian, it'd be 22-99, A5s-A9s, 67s-QJs, T9o-ATo

It's quite possible villian had 7d6d, but that's only one hand of a possible range. He could have a set on the flop, but I doubt JUST top pair. Maybe top pair and a gutshot, or top pair flush draw.

Your minraise on the flop is terrible, no offense. If you must c/r here, shove it in.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Well, folks. In retrospect I probably should have gone all-in preflop to flush villain out of the game. This is one lesson I will never forget...I played this hand last week actually. Now see if you can guess what hand the villain had!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With such a small stack I would fold A9s preflop. I might make a button call if there were more than one limper in front of me -- but not too often. Not with only 500 behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to disagree here. He's only got 560, but limping represents just 3.5 percent of his stack. He's likely going to get at least four players to see the flop, and maybe more. With the right flop -- which he got here -- he's in position to double or triple up.

He's got relatively good position and he can't wait around for aces or kings. The price is right here to see the flop cheaply.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, folks. In retrospect I probably should have gone all-in preflop to flush villain out of the game. This is one lesson I will never forget...I played this hand last week actually. Now see if you can guess what hand the villain had!

[/ QUOTE ]

A) I guessed.

B) Are you serious about pushing PF? FOR 28BB?!?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?

C) I suggest listening to the advice you have and will receive in this thread. You should also read a bunch of threads here to fix leaks you have and to give you more understanding of this fine game.

D) None of this is meant to be rude.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 PM

No, I would never go all in UTG with A9s unless I had no chips left.. Yes I will limp in with it. If I am short stacked but shorter stacked than I was. Honestly? In this case It was probably NLHE at its cruelest. It does happen. What I learned here is to just fold the damned hand UTG unless I am down to zilch... or I can afford to outraise all chasers and steal the blinds.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I would never go all in UTG with A9s unless I had no chips left.. Yes I will limp in with it. If I am short stacked but shorter stacked than I was. Honestly? In this case It was probably NLHE at its cruelest. It does happen. What I learned here is to just fold the damned hand UTG unless I am down to zilch... or I can afford to outraise all chasers and steal the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should never have this "steal the blinds" mindset at 10/20. You'll either lose all your chips to a better hand, or you'll severely minimize what you could collect with aces or kings.