Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Kill Phil useful for experts at SNGs?

Ok, i'm not an expert, i'm a winner at small stakes tournaments. But I feel comfortable enough to not take marginal edges early in tournaments, how far does Kill Phil help players like myself and better ones? i've skimmed through most of it, can kill phil strategies translate into better guidelines for bubble pushing and such in SNGs?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Kill Phil useful for experts at SNGs?

i've had a good look thru it, although can't say i've read it cover to cover (and i think you'd have to take notes)... but i think it could help a good player in all but a very long tournament. blinds are almost always an issue unless you are playing a very large tournament.

i think mason gave it a very good rating.... i just found it confusing at times. i could really use those charts.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 AM

Kill Phil is IMO a very good introduction to the concepts of playing tourneys.

And there where some players earlier playing strictly Kill Phil and beating the party 11$ SNGs. (Btw are you guys still kill philling ?)

But if you want to beat anything higher than the 11$ then you might just be giving up an edge not playing NL Hold'em prober in the early levels.

The second thing is, that KP is a good approximation to pushing in latter stage tourneys, but what you want to look into is ICM.

So what I am saying is, yes you might get by using KP, but you will want to move past that in a while.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:12 PM

It's helped my SnG game.

I don't play it strictly, but it's really helped with my game when there are 3-5 players left.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:31 PM

wowee i read kill phil up to kill phil basic and then i won my first tournament ever! the second one after reading the kill phil book. so does it work? well it worked for me!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KP is a good approximation to pushing in latter stage tourneys, but what you want to look into is ICM.

[/ QUOTE ]

ICM?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:47 PM

ICM = Independant Chip Model
here are a few links:
http://sharnett.bol.ucla.edu/ICM/ICM.html
http://sharnett.bol.ucla.edu/ICM/info.html

And where it is explained in good detail
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...?Number=519924
Old 04-06-2006, 04:26 PM

Just a little FYI...
I've read Kill Phil and used the strategy in a small(ish) sample of SNG's. When compared to a similar size PT sample of SNG's I played my way; my own play proved to be significantly more profitable. I'm not trying to say anything bad about Kill Phil here. I'm simply stating, "If it's not broke... don't try to fix it". If you're playing well in SNGs Kill Phil may not be the answer to improving.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM

I love it, all the art taken out of an art.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, i'm not an expert, i'm a winner at small stakes tournaments. But I feel comfortable enough to not take marginal edges early in tournaments, how far does Kill Phil help players like myself and better ones? i've skimmed through most of it, can kill phil strategies translate into better guidelines for bubble pushing and such in SNGs?

[/ QUOTE ]

By just playing KP Basic and using the onine SNG strategy, you should be able to beat the $11s. For what ROI is hard to tell. I am currently running my own trials with it at the Party Speed $11s. I would say the speeds are even better for KP than the regulars due to the rapidly increasing blinds.
If you want to try it, give it at least 100 SNGs before you decide anything. Its a good system and often allows lesser players to hold their own with more experienced pros.