Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Default Pumping the pot with a flush draw

9-handed 5/10 table at Potawatomi. The following is a kill pot for UTG. UTG is a LAG, though not a maniac. MP2 is generally a weak player, often willing to call down a hand.

Hero is in CO with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

UTG checks his kill. MP2 calls. Hero calls. Both blinds call.

Flop (5 SB): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Both Blinds check. UTG bets. MP2 calls. Hero raises. Both blinds fold. UTG 3-bets. MP2 calls. Hero caps. UTG calls. MP2 calls.

Turn (8.5 BB): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks. MP2 bets. Hero calls. UTG calls.

River (11.5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks. MP2 bets. Hero calls. UTG calls.

Comments from the flop on, please...
Old 01-09-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Pumping the pot with a flush draw

Who bet on the turn?

EDIT: I'm debating between calling the 3-bet and capping the flop. I'm thinking most people are drawing to a straight here.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Above post is edited to clarify that MP2 bet the turn.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:18 PM

Looks like you capped the flop believing that your hand would win if a heart fell. You make the flush and then check/call the turn and river?

I think your flop betting actually disguises your hand quite a bit. MP2 might have a set/2pair/A5 and will pay you off. I suppose you figured this is a WA/WB situation and thought that getting overcalls would be better than being 3-bet by a better flush. I think I would have found a raise somewhere on the turn or river though.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:21 PM

I'm confused by this hand:

1. I think raising the flop in position is probably good here. You have tentative overcard outs which you'd like to clean up, and you're in the perfect position to possibly take a free card on the next round. I think these factors outweigh the extra value you'd gain by possibly letting in one or two of the players in the blind. But we should note they are often folding for one bet anyway since they checked.

1b. I don't see the point of capping. It is important to realize you do not have a clear equity edge here. Your overcard outs are tentative, and some meaningful amount of the time your flush draw isn't good. (I think many players tend to way overvalue non-nut flush draws in multiway pots). Capping for a free card often doesn't work, because the three-bettor often has a monster and is going to be back into you on the turn. If you just call, and a flush hits on the turn, you are in a good position to trap for a lot of bets once your hand improves.

2. Why didn't you raise the turn? You hit a great card. Raise for value, and because raising might force UTG to fold something like the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Sometimes you will be beat, but usually you're ahead and you need to get value when you make your hand.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:23 PM

i don't mind the flop play, as i typically am very aggressive in this spot as well... willingness to cap here often adds a level of deception to the draw...

like the turn call going for the overcall from utg...

i think i like a river raise here though, as you are going to get a call from mp2 99% of the time here, which would be the same value as going for the overcall with the possibility of utg calling 2 cold
Old 01-09-2006, 03:27 PM

The reason that I capped the flop was that it felt pretty equity neutral if not equity-positive, and I thought it was a safe way of getting a good chance at a free-card if a heart didn't hit.

On the turn, MP2 suddenly wakes up after calling 4 flop bets and it sure feels like another flush to me (with me not knowing which flush is better).
Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

On the turn, MP2 suddenly wakes up after calling 4 flop bets and it sure feels like another flush to me (with me not knowing which flush is better).

[/ QUOTE ]

he woke up on a K. With that flop, lots of players will be in there with OC. Just because he woke up down't mean he has a flush. Raise him. If he reraises you THEN start thinking about a flush.

I'd also just call the flop 3-bet and then raise the turn.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Interesting guys... results in white below:

<font color="white"> MP2 had QJ of hearts for the flush. When MP2 stayed for all the flop action, then bet the turn, it seemed like most people will most likely have a flush, even a generally weak player. I can't imagine a weak player calling and calling, then getting excited about a King and betting in front of the guy that capped it. I wasn't so sure as to fold, but raising the turn or river just seems too risky when if I am beat, it will usually be with the nuts. </font>
Old 01-10-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Above post is edited to clarify that MP2 bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. Now make it read like you raised the turn and we're good.