Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 08:15 PM

Default What\'s this about Noah\'s Ark being perfect dimensions?

I don't know much about the Bible stories, so can someone enlighten me?

Noah's Ark was built 30:5:1 ratio, which are the dimensions of huge cargo ships built fairly recently. How did he gets these numbers, or how did someone write these numbers into the Bible? Are there other theories outside of God told him?

Also, it seems like whether or not Jesus existed isn't much of a debate, since many people from Muslims, Christians, atheists seem to be believe he did (or maybe I'm wrong). How much of a debate is it that Noah's Ark existed?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: What\'s this about Noah\'s Ark being perfect dimensions?

Cool icon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:33 PM

noah's ark seems pretty ridiculous to me, i think it supposedly took noah 100 years to build, then supported a male and female frome each species for 40 days and 40 night (correct me on specifics) perfect dimensions? i dont even want to calculate the volume needed for the millions of species, just a story if you ask me
Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 AM

I dont think many would claim the dimensions of Noah's Ark are perfect - but I think there is little doubt that Christians would say God gave him the numbers, atheists would say whoever wrote the bible made up the numbers.

I would speculate that people who believe the story of Noah's Ark is literally true are a small minority. No evidence to back it up though, other than anecdotal.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think many would claim the dimensions of Noah's Ark are perfect - but I think there is little doubt that Christians would say God gave him the numbers, atheists would say whoever wrote the bible made up the numbers.

I would speculate that people who believe the story of Noah's Ark is literally true are a small minority. No evidence to back it up though, other than anecdotal.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence for a huge flood though. It's very strange that almost every major civilization has a flood story in their antiquity. Although not as many have an Ark story.

Maybe Noah only had to round up hte species in his region, If the floodwastruely global maybe each region had their own "Noah" who could save all the local animals. This would certainly help with the logistics of such an undertaking. Sucks to be the guy in India, lots of [censored] there. The badlands of Egypt/Palestein dont seem to vibrant though.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:05 AM

Why do people always forget about the "rest" of the things on earth? It's not just people. A flood of such proportions would wipe out most trees and plant life.

How do you propose all this plant life came back into being? Without plant life, what do you think would happen to oxygen levels? And even if one was gullible enough to think plant life did make such a quick comeback, what did these people and animals eat for the next hundred or so years?

You almost couldn't invent a more far-fetched story than Noah's Ark.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence for a huge flood though. It's very strange that almost every major civilization has a flood story in their antiquity.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. Floods were one of the major environmental hazards in most settled cultures, and large ones tended to have severe impacts. Also water and floods are highly symbolic and resonant, water as a metaphor is very common through human society.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:47 AM

Someone put an excellent post on this forum about the difficulty Noah would have had sexing dangerous lizards, nevermind dinosaurs, if we were to get exactly a male and female of each.

I imagine Noah was the prehistoric Steve Irwin; "put ya glasses on Noah, she's a little grumpy"
Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 AM

More to the point - not that it's my own observation, but what about all the evil fish?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone put an excellent post on this forum about the difficulty Noah would have had sexing dangerous lizards, nevermind dinosaurs

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why we don't have dinosaurs anymore...duh.