Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Home tourny - long rounds - advice?

I'll be playing in a home tourney this weekend with 6-12 other guys. The format is a bit strange (or I am just too inexerienced). Start with T1000, blinds start at 10-20 and double every 90 (that's right - ninety) minutes.

I have played in this (usually) monthy tourney once before and busted on the bubble when my AA got cracked, but I am still a little confused on what my strategies should be, especially early.

Usually I play pretty tight in the first few rounds, looking to score with big hands, and attempting few, if any steals. But with 90 minute rounds, (aside from the sheer bordom of folding for the first three hours) I wonder if I should loosen up a bit and look for more oportunities to outplay my opponents in the first couple of rounds to make up for the extra blinds it would cost me to stay tight.

Your thoughts?
--
Scott
Old 01-09-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Home tourny - long rounds - advice?

[ QUOTE ]
Start with T1000, blinds start at 10-20 and double every 90 (that's right - ninety) minutes.

still a little confused on what my strategies should be, especially early.

But with 90 minute rounds, I wonder if I should loosen up a bit and look for more oportunities to outplay my opponents in the first couple of rounds to make up for the extra blinds it would cost me to stay tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott, reread that last sentence again and see if you still want to ask this question.

If you still do, then change 90 to 25 minute rounds and see if you still have the same logical stance behind this thought
Old 01-09-2006, 09:14 PM

Take the opportunity to see lots of cheap flops with hands like small pairs and suited connectors.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Start with T1000, blinds start at 10-20 and double every 90 (that's right - ninety) minutes.

still a little confused on what my strategies should be, especially early.

But with 90 minute rounds, I wonder if I should loosen up a bit and look for more oportunities to outplay my opponents in the first couple of rounds to make up for the extra blinds it would cost me to stay tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott, reread that last sentence again and see if you still want to ask this question.

If you still do, then change 90 to 25 minute rounds and see if you still have the same logical stance behind this thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put Larry.
You're not trying to just survive till endgame.. shorter tournaments aren't better for skilled players, they tilt the outcome more towards luck. Take the opportunity to wait
Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 AM

I would also be seeing a lot of flops in the first two rounds, crack those big pairs. I wouldn't try to steal a single time. I like to 4x the BB in short tournaments, I'd be betting 3x to induce action. I'd be able to fold aces unimproved to heavy action because I assume other people are doing the same thing.

The wall seems to be 40/80... lets assume 1 or 2 (15%) people have busted 10 minutes into this round. My raises are now 4x or 5x. If I got here with 800 I'd be a pushbot, if 1600 I'd protect/steal. If >2400 I'd be looking to pick off and bully short stacks.

Everyone but the leaders should be pushbotting at 80/160. Hopefully you'll be a leader and have some reads on pushing ranges for the various shortstacks. If you are a shortstack, figure out which of the leaders will call your good hands and which you can steal from. Pot odds rule this endgame, cards hardly matter.