Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 AM

Default No pair... pot, make one pair... pot pot

MP open raises in a 6-max game to 80, I call on the button with A9s. HU to the flop of Q76 with Q and 6 of clubs. He checks. This usually means, in my mind, that I’m against a hand that is giving up or a hand that is trying to keep the pot small and manageable for showdown. Occasionally, this is a big hand that wants to CR the flop or deceive me on the flop for later streets, but often enough this is just a player giving up. I generally make opponents work to win pots on me when I am in position, and this ultimately leads to people just not wanting to get involved with me in smaller pots with nothing. So I bet 180 and he instantly calls.

This speed of a call is generally a weak made hand, or a draw… Generally.

The turn is the Ace of spades, putting two spades on board. He checks and I bet 380.

Why did I bet? It’s definitely not to charge a draw; that is not my main concern. I bet for value. Sure, there is a chance I get check raised, but we are deep enough (100bb) where my opponent will not feel pot committed, and where my opponent could easily check-call with a hand that he felt was best. Many opponents are hesitant to put me on an ace here after betting the flop. If I get CR’d, it’s usually by a better hand.

He calls after some deliberation. This can mean anything… He has a Q and doesn’t believe me. He could be drawing, he could’ve made top pair. He might even still have a very big hand that is playing a bit slow.

The river brings a total blank, a red deuce. He instantly checks.

At this point, I feel like my hand is almost definitely good. In this spot, if I bet ½ pot, my opponent will probably think my range is something like a very big hand, a good one pair hand, or a bluff. If I pot it, my opponent is much more likely to think very big hand, or no hand at all (ie one of the billions of conveniently missed draws). It makes a call with anything that beats a pure bluff more likely, in my opinion. Some will argue that I’m going to blow a second best hand away too often by potting this river, I disagree… Especially with the overall package I present to the table when I play. Another benefit of a full-pot bet here is that I’m less likely to get CR bluffed, which actually is a very strong move against a player like me.

If I lose the hand, it’s likely to a stronger ace that decided to check-call the flop, which isn’t that uncommon.

I bet 1100.

How’s my line/thought process?

edit: i never had a draw in this hand
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM

Default Re: No pair... pot, make one pair... pot pot

i like... a lot.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM

I like the play on the flop in order to pick it up. People do indeed give up.

I like the turn. You could definitely be betting for value.

That being said I'll check behind on the river. The check/call, check/call kind of worries me. It could represent an A10, AJ, or even an AQ that wants to now checkraise, after wondering if he can suck you in for one more "value" bet on the river.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 AM

I like it especially if he is a thinking player. He may figure that you would never bet a pair of aces in that spot when your hand has such huge showdown value. Therefore he may talk himself into a call with JJ type hand. Of course he might have played AK this way, which he would call with given the draws that missed, but I think the shania that comes if he has AK and calls is worth it, especially since he will make heroic calls often enough on that river. Bet size is perfect imo.

I dont play this hand the same way on the turn or river (I check one of them for sure) but with your image and style of play, its a good long term move.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM

I think you should make more posts like this, Strass. Hearing your thought process throughout the hand is very helpful.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:49 AM

I think AK, AJ, A10 calls you here almost every time, that's the only reason I don't like it. And I think we all can agree that a A10, AJ might "give up" on this flop and then decide to become inquisitive when you pot the flop.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should make more posts like this, Strass. Hearing your thought process throughout the hand is very helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 AM

of course AK AJ AT calls
Old 04-04-2006, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think AK, AJ, A10 calls you here almost every time, that's the only reason I don't like it. And I think we all can agree that a A10, AJ might "give up" on this flop and then decide to become inquisitive when you pot the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see why AT AJ would ever check/call the flop after raising pre. If they dont cbet those hands, they are giving up to action. Possibly AK but no way AJ AT
Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 AM

It's possible, but not typical. I see people do stuff like this occasionally, and I've done it as well. (check call with very weak hands on the flop with an aggressive player in position with limited plans on seeing showdown)