Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Question about pot odds and str8 draw

Hi, I am new to poker, well have been playing for over a year now, but still consider myself a newbie. I am confused about the concept of pot odd and str8 draw, I know I am about 5 to 1 to make it on the next card or about 1 to 2 to make it by the river. I read on SSH that I need 4 opponents to draw profitably, thus if I raise a draw into 3 players in theory I should be making a mistake if I am not raising for a free card. Lets say I have 65s and the flop is 34Q rainbow, and assuming no one has a set, don't I have 32% pot equity in a 4 handed hand? Isn't that 6% more than my fair share of 25%? I know that I may have to call a bet on the turn, but doesn't it make sense to put your money in when you are a favourite to win? If I am making a mistake then how could I be making money too? Hope someone can help me out and explain this. I am really confused right now. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Question about pot odds and str8 draw

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I am new to poker, well have been playing for over a year now, but still consider myself a newbie. I am confused about the concept of pot odd and str8 draw, I know I am about 5 to 1 to make it on the next card or about 1 to 2 to make it by the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you're not 1 to 2 to make it by the river. You have roughly a 32% chance to win with your eight straight outs. Thus you are a little less than 1 in 3 to win which is why you need four people to draw profitably. This is discounting implied odds on their calling you if you make your straight; but I don't think that relates to your question.

[ QUOTE ]
I read on SSH that I need 4 opponents to draw profitably, thus if I raise a draw into 3 players in theory I should be making a mistake if I am not raising for a free card. Lets say I have 65s and the flop is 34Q rainbow, and assuming no one has a set, don't I have 32% pot equity in a 4 handed hand? Isn't that 6% more than my fair share of 25%?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot odds means that as long as someone bets less than a third of the pot you are correct to call on your draw. The number of people don't affect the pot odds unless you know who will call and who will not.

For instance let's say there are four players in the pot with that hand. The first player to act (Player A) bets the size of the pot which makes it incorrect for you to call; but you know that player B will also call player A's raise. You are correct to call because you know that you will be getting better than 3:1 on your money by the time the turn card hits.

[ QUOTE ]
I know that I may have to call a bet on the turn, but doesn't it make sense to put your money in when you are a favourite to win?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you are getting the correct odds to call does not mean you are the favorite to win. This is why raising is a mistake unless you know you will get paid off when you hit and/or you are attempting to disguise your straight draw by raising.

For instance consider in a four way pot on your described flop that these are the following hands.

Player A - AQ
Player B - 56
Player C - 34
Player D - Q4

The odds are as follows:

Player A - 13.9%
Player B - 32.44%
Player C - 9.15%
Player D - 44.39%

As you can see, player D is still the favorite to win the hand even though you have good equity and possibly the odds to call on your draw.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually you're not 1 to 2 to make it by the river. You have roughly a 32% chance to win with your eight straight outs. Thus you are a little less than 1 in 3 to win which is why you need four people to draw profitably. This is discounting implied odds on their calling you if you make your straight; but I don't think that relates to your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

2-1 against means that out of 3 times you will loose 2(66%) and win 1 time (33%) (Yes i know i havent counted the exact percenteges.)

Same goes if you are 3-1 against meanst out of 4 times you will loose 3 times (75%) and win 1 time (25%)

Peace
Old 04-04-2006, 05:01 PM

Plus considerations have to be made for weather it is a Limit game or No Limit