Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 AM

Default Big offsuit cards, low-limits in BB

I've heard some people say that if there are many limpers then you should not raise in the BB preflop with AKo but you should with AKs because AKo doesn't do as well in multi way pots. Is this correct? I feel I would be inclined to raise to damage the implied odds of limpers with small pocket pairs etc. Against 8 other random hands you have 17% equity preflop while everyone else has ~9.2% so it must be correct to raise right?

SSHE:
"In the first edition, I encouraged you not to raise much in the
blinds. I now believe it's correct to raise simply because you probably have the best hand, and this punishes people who
limped in with trash. However, many times after the flop, you
have to abandon the hand you raised with simply because it
didn't get enough of the flop and it's obvious that somebody else did. Raise with AA-88, AKs-QJs, AQs-KJs, AKo-KQo, AQo."

If it's a raised pot with 8 players again, and you are in BB with AKo and the UTG raiser has QQ then you have 15.5% equity, the QQ player has 21.5% and the random hands have ~7.8%. Assuming everyone including the QQ player will just call your reraise is it still correct?

Is it correct if the QQ will cap from early position making the rest of the field call 2 bets cold?

Sklansky:
"Let's suppose you have AKo and one or two aggressive players have called from an early
position. Your best play usually (but not always) is to just call and (perhaps) to try for a check-raise later."

I think this is a typo and he means your best play is to just 'check' not call because you are on the big blind. Is this a strange situation where you don't want to raise AKo vs not many opponents? Is it because a raise won't cut down the field and could bring a re-raise from early position limper(s).

Sorry lots of questions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2006, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Big offsuit cards, low-limits in BB

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a strange situation where you don't want to raise AKo vs not many opponents? Is it because a raise won't cut down the field and could bring a re-raise from early position limper(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming EP limpers have hands like 55-JJ you are not going to get rid of them by raising especially because they have position on you. Since we know they will call your raise you are going to be forced to play a big pot OOP against two undefined hands. That's not usually a +ev place to be.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Big offsuit cards, low-limits in BB

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky:
"Let's suppose you have AKo and one or two aggressive players have called from an early
position. Your best play usually (but not always) is to just call and (perhaps) to try for a check-raise later."

I think this is a typo and he means your best play is to just 'check' not call because you are on the big blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you would obviously only Check if it is unraised.
And I agree with what you said, but I think Sklansky meant that the aggressive players would most likely be raising, therefore you would be calling instead of checking...
Maybe he made a simple verbage error there, not sure.

... but maybe im splitting hairs on that one, and were off your point anywayz

Personally, I've had great success raising on the BB with AKo.

Like Phil Gordon said in his Little Green Book, "Raise to limit the competition".

Plus, you have position here, so being FIRST to raise (NOT RE-raise) with almost anything is good in this case, as it will make at least ONE person reevaluate thier marginal hand, and you may get lucky and have someone fold that A6off suckout on the river crap