Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 04:54 AM

Default Caesars Palace 2-5: $2,000 Pot, Turn and River Check-raises

This hand was played in the 2-5 game at Caesars Palace shortly after midnight on Sunday night/Monday morning. There are three key players in this hand. Here are my impressions of them.

Erractic LAG (~$900 in chips): This guy plays lots of pots. He bets and over-bets at most of them if nobody shows strength. He's a recreational player but seems to know how to play his style reasonably well. But, he often goes to far after somebody calls his bets/raises.

Older Lady (~$600 in chips): She's about 60 and appeared to be financially well off. She doesn't hesitate to bet any hand which she thinks is the best. She's also hard to bluff. Against a wild player she called a $100 bet on a A,5,5 flop and A,5,5,x,5 river with her QQ (it wasn't too bad a play against that guy). But, her lack of fear causes here to call large bets with weak hands.

Me (~$950 in chips): I'm too much of a rock.

The hand:

There are two EP limpers to the Older Lady who also limps in MP for $5. One more MP limps.

I'm in the cutoff with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and limp.

The small blind calls and additional $3. The Erratic LAG is in the big blind and checks his option. Six players see the flop with $30 in the pot.

The flop is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It's checked to the Older Lady who bets $30 into the $30 pot. The other MP folds. I decided to call and see the action behind me.

The Small Blind folded.

The Erratic LAG grabbed a handful of chips and shuffled them for a bit. After about 5 seconds, he called. Both EPs folded. Three players see the turn with $120 in the pot.

The turn is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The Erratic LAG checked. The Older Lady bet $30 into the $120 pot. I had been prepared to raise her on the turn if a non-heart fell. But, I wanted to see what the Erratic LAG was going to do after his chip shuffling and thinking on the flop. So, I called again.

The Erratic LAG announced he was raising and made it a total of $120 in a pot that already had $210 in it. The Older Lady called $90 more. With $390 in the pot when the action gets back to me, I called another $90. Three players see the river with $480 in the pot.

The river is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The Erratic LAG waits for about five seconds and then checks. The Older Lady bet $200 into the $480 pot. I called after a few seconds of silence.

The Erratic LAG remained silent for about ten seconds. He examined both my stack and the Older Lady's stack.

The Erratic LAG pushed all-in for about $550 more in a pot that already had $1,080 in it.

The Older Lady called for her remaining ~$300 in les than two seconds.

There is about $2,000 in the pot. I'll have to call $600 more.

Your play?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Caesars Palace 2-5: $2,000 Pot, Turn and River Check-raises

did you consider at all raising or betting or doing something besides calling and limping the entire hand???????
Old 04-03-2006, 05:04 AM

Well, I don't think I'm calling here, even though I'd guess you have granny beat to a QJ or so, but I would have likely either raised the first chance on turn or second chance on turn, and then your decision is LOTS easier if you get RRR'd. Even LAG's know when they can't bluff out, and since you said he plays his style well, I gotta imagine you folded and saw 333QQ and QQQJ8.

If you called, you gotta be pretty dissapointed in yourself. If you won, then I guess I'm a moron, but hell, stranger things can happen. I can't see you ahead of him here 1 time in ten on the river.

Also, any reread on him after she called? Kinda crucial.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:52 AM

3 people in the hand + said river action. 2 queens on the board. 2 queens left. you do the math.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand was played in the 2-5 game at Caesars Palace shortly after midnight on Sunday night/Monday morning. There are three key players in this hand. Here are my impressions of them.

Erractic LAG (~$900 in chips): This guy plays lots of pots. He bets and over-bets at most of them if nobody shows strength. He's a recreational player but seems to know how to play his style reasonably well. But, he often goes to far after somebody calls his bets/raises.

Older Lady (~$600 in chips): She's about 60 and appeared to be financially well off. She doesn't hesitate to bet any hand which she thinks is the best. She's also hard to bluff. Against a wild player she called a $100 bet on a A,5,5 flop and A,5,5,x,5 river with her QQ (it wasn't too bad a play against that guy). But, her lack of fear causes here to call large bets with weak hands.

Me (~$950 in chips): I'm too much of a rock.

The hand:

There are two EP limpers to the Older Lady who also limps in MP for $5. One more MP limps.

I'm in the cutoff with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and limp.

The small blind calls and additional $3. The Erratic LAG is in the big blind and checks his option. Six players see the flop with $30 in the pot.

The flop is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

It's checked to the Older Lady who bets $30 into the $30 pot. The other MP folds. I decided to call and see the action behind me.

The Small Blind folded.

The Erratic LAG grabbed a handful of chips and shuffled them for a bit. After about 5 seconds, he called. Both EPs folded. Three players see the turn with $120 in the pot.

The turn is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The Erratic LAG checked. The Older Lady bet $30 into the $120 pot. I had been prepared to raise her on the turn if a non-heart fell. But, I wanted to see what the Erratic LAG was going to do after his chip shuffling and thinking on the flop. So, I called again.

The Erratic LAG announced he was raising and made it a total of $120 in a pot that already had $210 in it. The Older Lady called $90 more. With $390 in the pot when the action gets back to me, I called another $90. Three players see the river with $480 in the pot.

The river is: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The Erratic LAG waits for about five seconds and then checks. The Older Lady bet $200 into the $480 pot. I called after a few seconds of silence.

The Erratic LAG remained silent for about ten seconds. He examined both my stack and the Older Lady's stack.

The Erratic LAG pushed all-in for about $550 more in a pot that already had $1,080 in it.

The Older Lady called for her remaining ~$300 in les than two seconds.

There is about $2,000 in the pot. I'll have to call $600 more.

Your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that's brutal. You're tight+ have not shown any strength in this hand so the LAG might think KQ or worse is good. Unfortunately I think you have to call here. You will probably be shown something like Q2 but as played I just don't see how I get away from a pot laying 3-1+ with a hand I doubt anyone thinks I have.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:03 AM

Good situation 1: LAG could have KQ and lady could have 99/TT.

Good situation 2: LAG has missed draw, perhaps JhTh and lady could have AQ-QT or 99/TT

Unfortunately there's a lot more bad situations.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 AM

ummm....instacall?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 AM

Man, that is a passive play you do here...

I would firstly raise preflop 3-5BB.

Then you hit the flop perfectly, I think it's ok to just call the lady's bet, but with the intention to re-raise on turn to see where you stand..

Then turn comes a club, perfect! You must re-raise here, perhaps 2,5-3 times the raise, and if you get a call or even if a re-re-raise (which surely would indicate a set) you can call and se what happens on the river (if the raise is not to big...). If there is a lot of betting on the river or if you get re-re-raised on turn, then you know you are beat and can fold easily. Otherwize it will probably be checked to you on the river and you can check it down...

When the last card comes now you don't have much information since you never bet in this pot, just called... I wouldnt worry about the Erractic LAG, but the laidy might just have 88, 33, Q8 or Q3 if you are unlucky, but she could have just the Q as well. But this is what you get when you don't bet pre-flop and never bet to see where you stand...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:14 AM

...you have 3 queens.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 AM

Dynasty,

If you're speaking of the old lady regular (white frumpy shorter hair, she wears sunglasses too) I fold this hand...

I've played a few sessions with her and she rarely moved in without the nut...

So, if it's against her I fold...against a new opponent with no reads, I have to call