Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 AM

Default Bankroll For High Stakes Players

Hey guys, my bankroll is 30k. Poker is my only source of income. Where do you guys keep the bulk of your roll? Right now I have it all sitting in PokerStars. But I know that at any moment it could be taken for some [censored] reason.

Like they could say I'm colluding or something and confiscate it(read the Strassa thread, it does happen). Then I'm ruined.

So do you guys keep your entire roll at the poker site? In Neteller? In your bank? Do you get worried? You guys probably have 60k-100k bankrolls, and the swings at 10-20 are fierce from what I've heard.

So do you keep like half in the site, half in neteller? Or something like 15 buyins in the poker site, 10 in neteller, and the rest of your money in your bank account, and replenish when needed?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Bankroll For High Stakes Players

2/5 of my bankroll is invested. 2/5 of my bankroll was lent to someone who was investing it for me, and something happened and i lost the money for good, so that 2/5 no longer exists. and theother 1/5 is working bankroll of cash, 1/2 which is in online sites or firepay and half in my checking account. i know this answers nothing because i gave no numbers, but there it is.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:42 AM

at least 15 buyins in neteller or on the sites I play, rest in a interest bearing account.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 AM

Can't you link your neteller to a money market checking account and keep like 10 buy-ins at each site you play, 10 reserve in Neteller just in case and put the rest into your checking account and at the end of each month write yourself a fat check into you're real checking account and live off that?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't you link your neteller to a money market checking account and keep like 10 buy-ins at each site you play, 10 reserve in Neteller just in case and put the rest into your checking account and at the end of each month write yourself a fat check into you're real checking account and live off that?

[/ QUOTE ]

you could
Old 04-03-2006, 01:24 AM

1/2 is in etrade in a bunch of mutual funds. 3/8 is in my bank. Normally I'd have less than 1/20th in my bank, but I have to pay taxes and pay for a car. The other 1/8 is online, about $10k on each of 4 sites that I play on, and maybe 10k or so in NETELLER. There are two reasons that I keep so little online compared to most others I know:

1) It's pretty easy to pick some mutual funds that will give you an easy 10% return/yr. Worst case you can put it in ING and get 4% or whatever. This adds up in the end.

2) I don't really trust online sites/NETELLER to the same extent I trust Etrade and banks. What are you gonna do if they accuse you of pulling a ZeeJustin because 3 of your friends came over and played tournies at your house? You basically have no recourse at this point.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 AM

20 buys in on the site i play at and another 20 buy ins on neteller
Old 04-03-2006, 01:39 AM

i love how none of us trust ANY site enough to leave a huge % of our rolls there. or rather that you have to seperate out enough that youll feel safe if you lose everything on the site, and we do nothing we consider wrong/serious enough for that to reasonably happen, or I do in any case. the problem is the rules are vague.

i think neteller is much safer, and this sense of security is what i will be paying my taxes for
Old 04-03-2006, 01:51 AM

whitelime/others can you guys hook me up with some links for these interest banks or whatever they are called? I think i would like some knowledge and keep some of my $$$ in there and gain interest from it :-D.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:29 AM

Call Merill Lynch or your broker.