Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2006, 12:18 AM

Default SitNGo Strategy

I have now been playing 2 months and confident Im now breaking even at FL .05/.10 at pokerstars. One night I decided to try the $3 turbo SNG after reading "Getting started in Hold em" using an extremely tight strategy, and hoping to see players put themselves out before the prizemoney. (3 places awarded. ) Well it worked to the point of getting 4th or 5th place on each of the 5 attempts, but coming close to the money left me very short stacked and betting marginal hands to stay above the blinds. On 2 of the 5 occasions I got drawn out on the river with me holding AA and KK on each occasion, so I figure I may have got a bit closer if they had dropped.

Obviously my strategy for a change to FL Tournament here still leaves a lot to be desired, so any help referring me to some strategy links or books is much appreciated.

Incidently, I my reading includes Getting started, SSHE, and Im now onto the Theory of Poker.

cheers

Bruce
Old 04-03-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: SitNGo Strategy

if you are talking about single table tourneys..then go over to the STT forum...

you will soon learn when you "tight" strategy should be thrown out the window in favor of pushing complete trash [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 AM

Thanks Prodigy, I have browsed there but got a bit overwhlemed with information overload. Im inclined to perhaps become a better play at FL, then Im not sure at what stage to try NL and or tournament.

cheers
Old 04-03-2006, 11:36 AM

Anything with "turbo" in it sounds like the limits are raised quickly, but it is unclear whether you are talking about a FL SNG or NL SNG.

In any tourney where the limits are raised quickly, it will be more of a crapshoot and you won't be able to wait for premium hands.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything with "turbo" in it sounds like the limits are raised quickly, but it is unclear whether you are talking about a FL SNG or NL SNG.

In any tourney where the limits are raised quickly, it will be more of a crapshoot and you won't be able to wait for premium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he means Fixed Limit

there is definitely an edge to be had even in the turbo STTs...it's just not really in the form of playing tight.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:03 PM

I don't know how to use the search function, but...if you do there are a couple of classic posts in the Single Table Tourney forum...Search for a guide to beating the Party $11's by user "Aleomagus" (sp?) and I believe a user called "The Shadow" put together an awesome STT anthology post. Hope you can find these, they will help.

NOTE: I'm not sure how relevant the old Aleomagus post will be. It was written in the days of 800 chip stacks and blinds going up every 10 hands. I'm pretty sure that it would still be somewhat helpful for basic low buy-in one table tourney stategy. But seriously, if you want to get good at SNGs then just start reading, posting, and replying in the SNG forum. It's the best reseource out there for those.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the advice and links. If I wasnt clear, the turbo SNG's at Stars are No limit, blinds escalating very quickly.

Since I've posted I have found some superb stuff at 1 table forum doing an appropriate search. It seems clear that a skilled player will have significant positive EV playing these, which is what I would like to become.

regards

Bruce
Old 04-03-2006, 02:08 PM

This was helpful for me.

Buzz
Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was helpful for me.

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: SitNGo Strategy -Update

Thanks so much to everyone who responded with links to the other reading. Since thats happened I've finished in the money in 3 out of 4 tourneys. The "favourites" thread in One table forum has enough information to fill numerous books.

Once again thanks for putting me on the right track.

Bruce