Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Default The lack of class.

Maybe i'm just an old timer, but have you guys noticed a considerable lack of class in the the poker world (online/bm). Nowadays i can't even go to a room w/o people trash talking each other and berating the other person.

Take for example these forums, there tends to be a certain lack of class everywhere. People making smart aleck remarks and using profanity constantly.

I notice this in the workplace, school and everywhere. there just doesn't seem to be any class anymore and a lot of people tend to have oversized egos.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Default Re: The lack of class.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i'm just an old timer, but have you guys noticed a considerable lack of class in the the poker world (online/bm). Nowadays i can't even go to a room w/o people trash talking each other and berating the other person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. And it is usually a sign that the game is good. If it bothers you too much just turn off the chat.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:56 PM

Class is subjective, if everyone is an a-hole, it means you are a prude. Winner.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:03 PM

THere are common generally accepted norms that are considered classy and unclassy.

For example, profanity and insults are considered by general consensus to be unclassy.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 PM

The comment is not whether game is good. THe question is if there has been a less classy community and the overall poker culture/society has been coarsened to classlessness.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:06 PM

people have been going on about this sort of [censored] since time began. learn to live with it, or u may be pigeon holed as a boring old git.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:31 PM

You are right... but as far a poker goes, those things are mostly tell tale signs of their biggest weakness, pride & arrogance. Pride & arrogance in small doses are fine, but too often those are the things that get my set paid off for their entire stack when they hit TP/TK.
I’m really surprised that pride & arrogance aren’t discussed more in this forum. I think, as far as psychology is concerned, I haven’t yet found a more profitable weakness to exploit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2006, 05:45 PM

The answer is undoubtedly yes. But with anything, it's how you handle it that makes it easier to deal with. You can't focus on it because that's why poker players flex their ego. They want you on tilt. Ignore, laugh at it, whatever it takes, but play your game and let it be what it will be.

For the record, it sucks. I don't play poker like that or like playing with people like that. I don't do much online gaming because I think it lacks the "Soul" that Poker has in person.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:50 PM

The answer is a definate no.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:10 PM

actually no. Again, the question is not whether one should live with it or not. the question is whether it is getting worse or not.

I judge by your repsonse its always been like this.

I disagree. The rudeness that happens seems to arise from two reasons. First, it is because of lack of social repercussion. Whether online or the real world, you would not act in certain ways if you were in a smaller community because of social repercussions (following the norms). Also, due to anonymity and the way our culture is constructed, people tend to say more extreme things to get their point across or to get attention.