Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Norm MacDonald

I think it's about time we had an official Norm MacDonald appreciation thread.

- Easily the best Weekend Update anchor.
- Dirty Work: no one saw it, but hilarious movie.
- The Norm Show: consistently good sitcom, sorry it got canceled.

I loved how relentless he was with OJ jokes, even after SNL. Example: "While hosting the 1998 ESPY Awards in front of a roomful of the world's most famous professional athletes, many of whom were Simpson's peers and friends, MacDonald unloaded. After the University of Tennessee's Peyton Manning received the award for college football athlete of the year and stepped away from the podium MacDonald congratulated Manning's on-field success and his Heisman Trophy award, to which he quipped that the award was something that could never be taken away from him--unless, of course, Manning 'killed his wife and a waiter.' The room was silent."

My favorite Norm moment ever, however, was in 2000 or 2001 when he was on Conan O'Brien. He was the first guest and Courtney Thorne Smith, who was promoting some stupid movie she made with Carrot Top, was the second guest. Norm remained on stage and was being generally obnoxious through the interview, making fun of the movie and Carrot Top and really pissing Courtney Thorne Smith off. Conan was loving it, however. Finally, Conan asked Courtney what the movie was called, and she says "Chairman of the Board." Conan looks at Norm and says "Do something with that, you freak." Norm pauses for a split second and goes, "I bet "Board" is spelled B-O-R-E-D!" Maybe my favorite late-night TV moment ever.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Norm MacDonald

No, I'm sorry, but Norm was not the best Weekend Update anchor ever. Dennis Miller was born for the part and performed it with an edge and longevity that make it a no-contest argument. I love Norm. Norm is great. Norm is god. Miller is the all-time Update anchor though.

I will say Norm did the best David Letterman impersonation I'v ever seen.

Gary
Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 AM

Fair enough. Yeah, I forgot to even mention his great impressions on SNL like Letterman, Larry King and Burt Reynolds.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 AM

I love Norm. He has done some stupid movies (Dr. Doolittle) but when he is doing something that fits him he is hilarious.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 AM

I miss Norm on weekend update too. It was very funny when some of his jokes bombed or people didn't get it. He would still have that smirk on his face.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 AM

i'm a Norm fan. there's something about the peculiar way he speaks/delivers his jokes that makes him so much funnier to me
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 AM

I did see dirty work, and it is one of my favorite movies. Norm is hilarious. Wish he would have had a bigger role in some of his films with Adam Sandler.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a Norm fan. there's something about the peculiar way he speaks/delivers his jokes that makes him so much funnier to me

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. His jokes are really funny on their own, but he has this je ne sais quoi that just makes them hilarious.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:45 AM

All that work is quality stuff, but Norm's true talent lies in his stand-up. He is literally IMO one of the funniest stand-up comedians of all time. Unbelievably good at what he does, and an incredibly cool guy too.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 AM

Unfortunately I have never gotten the opportunity to see him in person, but the times I have seen him do standup on TV it was always hilarious. I just didn't mention it because I couldn't remember any specific jokes off the top of my head.