Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Gravity question

Does gravity have a maximum range? Say the universe had only two planets in it both earth sized and they were 50 million light years apart. Say also that they came into existence completly stationary. Would they move towards each other and eventually collide? How about 100 million? 100 trillion? Does the gravity from every object pervade the entire universe?

Also does gravity have a speed? Say the universe has one planet then another one is created somehow x light years away. Will the gravitational effect affect on the original planet be instantaneous or will it take f(x) amount of time?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Gravity question

gravity has no maximum range. in your example, yeah the two planets would eventually collide.

speed of gravity? fast, baby. way faster than c.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gravity has no maximum range. in your example, yeah the two planets would eventually collide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, though *eventually* could also be nearly infinite.

[ QUOTE ]
speed of gravity? fast, baby. way faster than c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. The effect of a gravitational field is instantaneous, but changes in that field propagate outward at c. If the Sun suddenly shifted position, it would take ~8.5 minutes for the change in the curvature of space to reach us and pull Earth in a different direction.

Otherwise, you could send information faster than c by shifting heavy weights around to send gravitational Morse code, thus violating causality and creating mass hysteria.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:21 AM

It's easier to think of gravity as a bowling ball on a very large soft mattress. If you place a ping-pong ball in the immediate vicinity of the bowling ball, it will be pulled into the depression bowling ball creates on the mattress. However, if the mattress is large enough, it is possible to place the ping-pong ball far enough away to where the bowling ball will have little to no effect on it.

So two earth sized planets seperated by a vast distance, would have no effect on each other even if they were the only two objects in the universe.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:37 AM

Three responses and three different answers so far [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lestat,
No effect or no significant/noticeable effect? Since I created this universe I'm prepared to wait an infinite amount of time for them to collide. How about two specks of dust 100 trillion light years apart? Or two electrons?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:52 AM

The effects of gravity are hard to measure, much harder than the other 3 forces. Gravity weakens over distance, but it's effect never completely dissappears. If you had two particles of arbitrary mass, very small or very big, and these were the only two particles present in the universe, they would collide in time, no matter the space between.

Cambraceres
Old 04-01-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The effects of gravity are hard to measure, much harder than the other 3 forces. Gravity weakens over distance, but it's effect never completely dissappears. If you had two particles of arbitrary mass, very small or very big, and these were the only two particles present in the universe, they would collide in time, no matter the space between.

Cambraceres

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Three responses and three different answers so far [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Lestat,
No effect or no significant/noticeable effect? Since I created this universe I'm prepared to wait an infinite amount of time for them to collide. How about two specks of dust 100 trillion light years apart? Or two electrons?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see you're asking a much more intelligent question that your basic: What's with gravity?

I'm not the one to ask, but from what I think I know, gravity does travel at the speed of light. Also...

I don't see why two objects can't be placed far enough from each other to where they would have zero effect on each other over an infinite amount of time. I could easily be wrong about this however. I just don't see why they would have to eventually collide just because of infinite time. But hopefully, Cambracerers will answer that.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:33 PM

The electrons won't collide, right? At some point the electromagnetic forces overwhelem the gravitational forces and they repel. So they should reach an equlibrium distance right at the point that the stronger EM repulsion exactly cancels the weak gravitational attraction? Would they orbit each other?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:33 PM

Because every object creates a gravitational pull, the strength of which depends on the mass of the objects and is inversely proportional to the distance. But as long as the mass isn't 0, there will be an attraction.