Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 06:55 AM

Default Very vague and open-ended O/8 bankroll requirement

I'm leaving this vague because I want Tx, Buzz, and others to be able to take it wherever they see fit:

I am a winning (approximately 1.5bb/100)though not spectacular LHE player. Recently, due to problems with pokerace functionality, I began redelving into Party O/8 games, 10/20 to 30/60. Basically, assuming that 300 bb is appropriate for a live LHE game (a gross simplification of course), and 500-750 bb for an online midlimit LHE game, what is an appropriate roll for online midlimit O/8?

Basically, I'd like to play 30/60 with only a $15k devoted roll for the game. Is a 1bb/100 winrate enough to guarantee a less than 5% ror with this 250 bb roll, or would a 2bb/100 winrate be more appropriate?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Very vague and open-ended O/8 bankroll requirement

[ QUOTE ]
I'm leaving this vague because I want Tx, Buzz, and others to be able to take it wherever they see fit:

I am a winning (approximately 1.5bb/100)though not spectacular LHE player. Recently, due to problems with pokerace functionality, I began redelving into Party O/8 games, 10/20 to 30/60. Basically, assuming that 300 bb is appropriate for a live LHE game (a gross simplification of course), and 500-750 bb for an online midlimit LHE game, what is an appropriate roll for online midlimit O/8?

Basically, I'd like to play 30/60 with only a $15k devoted roll for the game. Is a 1bb/100 winrate enough to guarantee a less than 5% ror with this 250 bb roll, or would a 2bb/100 winrate be more appropriate?

Thanks,
Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

We can all agree that variance is significantly lower is O8 than it is in LHE. How much less? There's not enough conclusive evidence to point towards a specific number, but IMO, a 300 BB downswing in LHE would be like a 75 BB downswing in O8. Of course, that's a figure i've derived from my own experience, so the actual number could be greater or lesser, depending on the variables, but I dont think that the discrepancy between my number and what the actual number may be would be too great.

That being said, how many tables do you plan on playing, or better yet, how many hands do you expect to play in a day? I take into account multitabling when deciding a bankroll requirement for online play.

I probably could have given you my two cents wuthout all the preamble, just by saying that $15,000 is a sufficient roll for 30/60 O8B. In fact, for a player who can make, let's say, 1.5 BB/100, it's more than enough.

Personally, I keep 200 BB's in my party account, and I generally play two tables of full ring and one SNG.

There is something else to consider here, because, it is particular to my style of play, I have a relatively low aggression factor, so my downswings will be less than some players who play more aggressively than me.

The largest downswing I've ever experienced on more than one occasion is 60(ish) BB's, if that helps at all.

GL,

Tex
Old 04-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Very vague and open-ended O/8 bankroll requirement

That response makes me very, very happy. I am working on my preflop standards, which if anything are somewhat Laggy. I sometimes openlimp light (245x in the wrong game situation, etc.)

My question(s) were obviously somewhat mundane for somebody playing 30/60, but I feel confident I'm beating the game, though I still don't know what a sustainable wr is. I know that the 150 bb day I had in the 30 yesterday both helped the br and the confidence. I recently had a 225 bb slide at primarily 15/30 and 20/40 HE, and even though that's small in the grand scheme of things, it rattled my hold 'em confidence.

As to your question, I've been playing anywhere from 2-6 Party 30s, however many are going, without Pokerace stats. 3-4 games is optimal for me right now, I think. I am really disappointed that there's never a 20/40 and never more than 1 or 2 15/30s going.

Dan