Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2006, 07:11 PM
 is offline

Default $55r: Another Friggin\' AQo Multi-way Level 1 Hand

I seriously considered checking behind on the turn and then just calling a decent-sized bet on the river. I know that's what I would have told someone to do if they posted this hand here.

PS - Anyone just muck this on the flop given that it was a pot-sized bet from UTG into a field of about 25?

PartyPoker $55 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2000)
UTG+1 (t2060)
MP1 (t2000)
Hero (t2000)
MP3 (t2000)
CO+1 (t2000)
CO (t2000)
Button (t1980)
SB (t1960)
BB (t2000)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, MP1 calls t40, Hero calls t40, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO+1 calls t40, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t20, BB checks

Flop: (t240) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t225</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, Hero calls t225, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>

Turn: (t690) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t355</font>, SB calls t355

River: (t1400) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t1340 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 03-31-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: $55r: Another Friggin\' AQo Multi-way Level 1 Hand

i think you can play this a lot of ways (as you said checking the turn is one. im not folding that flop without a good read though. river is a fold w/o a read.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:20 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
i think you can play this a lot of ways (as you said checking the turn is one. im not folding that flop without a good read though. river is a fold w/o a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. But is betting the amount that I bet one of these "many ways" to play this?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:52 PM
 is offline

Impatient bump.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:59 PM

PF i usually make it 175. I really don't like limping AQ because of spots like this. Having not done that, i like calling the flop and seeing where that brings you.

If you made this turn bet in an attempt to get a cheap showdown, i like it.

River is standard. You don't beat much.

Btw, in our last SNG together, i wasnt stalling to raise the blinds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I really wasnt sure if i was supposed to call there.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
PF i usually make it 175. I really don't like limping AQ because of spots like this. Having not done that, i like calling the flop and seeing where that brings you.

If you made this turn bet in an attempt to get a cheap showdown, i like it.

River is standard. You don't beat much.

Btw, in our last SNG together, i wasnt stalling to raise the blinds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I really wasnt sure if i was supposed to call there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, didn't even realize that was you. I could care less since I had a huge stack (I really didn't want that bubble to burst, btw). What was your hand again? K2? Post the hand, see what the forum says.

Edit: Yes, my bet on the turn was to get a cheap showdown. But does this counteracrt the risk of being check-raised enough to make it correct?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:06 PM

I really like checking behind on the turn here and then calling a reasonable bet on the river. You make about the same money off of hands that you beat and lose less to hands that beat you. Plus, you get bluffed a lot less.

As played, I like the river fold.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 PM

Dont even call that flop bet. The best way to make money in an SNG is to last longer than all the other donks, and taking marginal EV early dosent help achieve this.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
I really like checking behind on the turn here and then calling a reasonable bet on the river. You make about the same money off of hands that you beat and lose less to hands that beat you. Plus, you get bluffed a lot less.

As played, I like the river fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Must be that Brown education, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont even call that flop bet. The best way to make money in an SNG is to last longer than all the other donks, and taking marginal EV early dosent help achieve this.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just wrong.